Cute video.. plus tips?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DazyDaizee

Reaction score
Our official new bunny, Walter (my failed foster), is scared of slippery floors. I'm sure he hasn't really been exposed to them as he lived at the rescue his whole life (2 years!). We've been trying to get him used to the floor. I made a little "bunny trail" out of towels so he could get from his area to our room that's carpeted. He thought this was great. He's been getting better about the floors, but is still really skeptical. I don't know if his head tilt contributes to his feeling of instability on the floors. Any tips for getting him more comfortable with the floor would be great.

Here's the video of him using his bunny trail! [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97mV6tFa3iA[/ame]

that is sooo cute:D my bunnies arent that keen on wooden floors either. if they are indoors downstairs then they tend to stick to the mat. if they do attempt the wooden floor then they look as if they are swimming breast stroke. they dont hop but keep all four paws on the floor and 'swim' very slowly. put them upstairs on carpet and they love it, put them downstairs then they tend to sit and sulk:rollseyes

aww! I guess I never heard of that until just recently. The 3 rabbits I had when I was younger never had a problem, my last two took to it great without even seeming unsteady, and my two fosters that were placed were fine with it. Right before we got Wally, we had a foster overnight that was going back to the rescue, and the people who dropped him off said he was scared of slippery floors... then we got Wally and found out on our own!

All of my guys have had problems with wood floors. The best thing is to put down towels or rugs until the bunny is comfortable, and then gradually take them away so that they have to walk on the wood floor. They will eventually get used to it and know how to walk on it better. At the apt I was in when I got Tony, there was a really long wood-floored hall. He used to tear up and down it, crashing into the walls at either end, for fun! What a crazy guy. The bedroom bunnies (Frida and Ben) don't have to go on wood floor if they don't want to, and gradually they've gotten more comfortable with going on it when they want to explore. I got Muffin used to walking on it by putting her in another room (where her litterbox and stuff wasn't) and letting her decide how to get back. It worked. They just need to learn how to walk on wood, and often a crash course works best.

With your adorable new boy, I would let him have as many rugs as he needs until he's feeling better and at least more comfortable in his home, because of his tilt. I would assume it makes him feel a lot less stable on his feet. It may take him longer to learn how to walk on the wood, so I guess it's the Bunny Trail for now! ;)

Thanks! I do notice that when the towels go astray, he'll now sort of dash from one to the next, going over the wood floor as fast as possible.. but at least he'll do it!
I plan on making a more permanent and stable "bunny trail" for him.. once I get some free time. I don't mind making accommodations, but I'm hoping he'll one day adjust.. because it would be easier on him. He's so funny... we haven't tried any more bonding with Toot yet, because he's still recovering from surgery.. but if I hold Toot and put her next to him (so there's no chance of biting) he just snuggles into her.. he wants a bunny companion so badly. I can't wait for them to be friends.. they both need it.
bunnies.jpg

so right after I posted this, the next morning I found Wally on the wood floor. Thinking it was a fluke, I watched to see how he'd get back to the "safety" of the blankets. He walked across the floor nonchalantly. Now he's a pro. Totally fearless, like he's been walking on slippery floors his whole life. I think the bunny trail helped to get him used to going across because he was in the bedroom for a week before this.. never once venturing past the carpet/wood line.

Latest posts

Back