Cut the quick on nail trim. How worried should I be?

• Thread starter Sophie's Humble Servant
  • Start date
Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sophie's Humble Servant

Hi,

Sophie had her nails trimmed and because she was struggling so much, her quick got cut a bit. There wasn't much blood and it stopped on it's own. The tech applied styptic powder and it seemed ok.

Do I have to worry about infection now? It's her back foot that it happened to.

The tech was nice and didn't charge me for the trim.

I'm just worried about the nail and being able to check on it because I have a hard time handling Sophie.

While an infection is possible I wouldn't worry too much. I have heard of this happening to several buns since I first joined RO and have yet to hear of an infection. Thumper once broke part of his nail off digging. It did bleed although it stopped before too long. I did notice him grooming it. Just keep an eye on it and watch the behavior.

Ok thanks! I'll try not to worry:)

I'm feeling stressed out because I'm moving in a couple of weeks and so when this happened, it made me feel very scared!

It always seems like a horrible thing (I cut one of Bandit's once) because there is quite a lot of blood, but when dipped in powder, they stop quickly and are fine after that. It may bleed a tiny bit again for up to a day from hopping around if it gets rubbed on a flooring surface a lot, but I've never heard of a cut quick getting infected either.

I once cut the quick on my bunny. He was totally fine, even though I didn't have any powder to dip it in then.

Ok thank you for your responses:)

She does appear fine today. I'm going to inspect the nail tomorrow just to be sure.

Just stop the bleeding with styptic powder, that's all you have to do :)

Latest posts

Back