Curious about this

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybun

Reaction score
Its my first post and I am glad I found this forum for information on bunny. I have a Rex bunny inherited from my sister. He's 4.5 years old and he's been great companion to me. I am wondering what is this tight bumpy knots (its almost seems like glued hair at the root of the bunny) on both side way of his face. I don't know if I am making this clear or not. I rub it all the time and he does not seems to react to what I do to his face at all.

Thanks!
Helen

:helloand :welcome1to RabbitsOnline. I am glad you found the site. RO is a very active, friendly and helpful website devoted to rabbits and their slaves.

Those bumps are on each side of the bunny's face? Could be some of his wiskers. Hard to say with out a picture of them.

Here are some good links to areas of the site you might find interesting, the Library section, full of good reference info, Bunny Blog, where you can keep everyone up to date on your bunny and your life as a bunny slave and if you bunny would like to ask questions of other buns the Bunny Chat is the spot to be. The regional forum is a good way to find a rabbit savvy vet or to post places where you get some of your supplies for your bun etc. For the lighter side and to give you a chuckle or two stop by the go to the Let Your Hare Down section for anything but bunny's.

Here is link to the rules of the site, light reading Rabbits Online Forum Rules.

You don't have to say what city your in but if you could update your profile withthe areayour in, may be likeNorth west Ohio, Canada, UK etc, that would help others provide you with info that may help you and your bunny.

If you would like to post pictures in your post this link How to put photo's in your posts will help explain that.

I hope I didn't overwhelm you with info. This is a wonderful site and I look forward to seeing pictures and reading some stories.

Dave

Hi. Welcome to RO.
I'm not really understanding the wya you're describing the bump... can you get some pictures of this to show us? Thanks.

Its hard to describe the condition and I have try look deeper under this fur down to the surface of the skin. Its like a hair being bunched up together. I will see if i can zoom right into his skin and take a picture of it.

They do naturally have a little knot -- almost like a pimple -- on each side of their face, I think below the eye if I recall. (I'd check Pipp, the only bun handy at the moment, but she's in the doghouse for hunting down and biting my headset cable, no exploratory pets!)

sas :bunnydance:

Whisker bumps are normal.

Cheek whisker bumps are actually mentioned in the ARBA Standard for English Spots.

Pam

OK thank you for your reply. Its bright sunny today and I was able to get a glimpse of what's around the side of his face. They don't like like anything abnormal like you guys mentioned. Its pimple-like and it could be whisker bumps.

You guys are so knowledgeable. I am going to learn a lot about bunnys here.

Helen

Yeah, most bunnies that I've done well-bunny checks on (my own, shelter) have bumps in the skin at the base of the whiskers.

I have another one for you guys and wondering if its too much. Its a bit embarrassing and here is. Billy bun has found my blue bath rope arousing when I discovered one morning while wearing it. He keep wanting to climb up on my sleeve and so finally I was in tune with what's going on. I took the robe off and let him have it and found that he was trying to grab hold of the sleeve but since it was hollow he was not able to get a hold of it. So what I did was tuck his teddy bear in the sleeve. He got really excite and start humping the "so call his object of affection". After a few minutes he would circle around me for a few laps. I am wondering if you guys think I did a bad thing by doing this for him? I feel sorry for him as he's alone with me with no one to play with during the day. I don't know if he's neutered or not as I inherited him from my sister who bought it off from a lady. So now he only hump the sleeve when I hold it for him to hump.

Billy is not super aggressive and actually I have gotten use to him and he's gotten use to of me. He gets a bit bratty on the weekend when I don't wake up the same time that I normally would during the weekdays for work. That's the time I feed him too.

Well, it would be pretty obvious if he's not neutered. You can flip him over and if he's a he that hasn't been neutered, there should be two obvious signs (sorry to be crude). He could also be a female that was mis-sexed. The behavior, though, reminds me of an unaltered male.

Thanks! Now I know he's really is a "he". His male part is still there because I see it when is is aroused. I take it its a bit too late to neuter him now.

Oh, it's never too late! He's not so old that you'd have to worry about anesthesia, but it may be too late to get rid of the humping behavior. A member here (also has a bunny named Billy) has a bunny that was used as a stud buck by a breeder, and they got him after he was retired. He's been neutered, but he still hums, buzzes, circles, and humps his toys. Neutering does improve litterbox habits and smell though, and gets rid of spraying urine if he does that. If it bugs you, it's probably worth getting him neutered, because it has a pretty good chance of at least getting rid of the humping behavior.

Ok I booked a date to neuter Billy. I never need the difference between these things with bunny. Neutering and that bunny will spraying. One of my coworker told me that if I don't get Billy neuter, he could spray (fart like to cause serious stink in the room). I was told that it could get as worst as a skull like spray So with that said, I immediately booked an appointment with a local Vet next Friday.

Well, the coworker is a little bit off. Spraying in bunnies is peeing everywhere--shooting pee all over the place--and it's something bunnies do to mark territory. Skunks have a special scent gland that produces the skunky smell, it's not urine. Rabbits also have scent glands, but they can't explosively release smelly gas or a smelly liquid like skunks do. These scent glands are used to make the poop smell more gross. They're both in the bum and right by it on the outside. Unneutered males and unspayed females can have REALLY stinky scent glands, so getting him neutered will at least help with that.

I now remember what I want to say about Billy. What does it means when he's sitting with his bum to the ground but he does this thing once in a while where he raise himself a little bit off the ground and then it looks like he's constipated and he would push his bum down causing a bit of vibration to the cage. Also he's eating less and less of the hay. I don't know how to get him to eat more hay. What I do on a regular basis is to give him a big leave of Romaine lettuce in the morning with 3 small carrots. I would give him about another 2 small (mini - kind) after I come home from work. I also feed him some Timothy strawberry/Cheerio biscuit-like treat everyday. Would he be having enough of nutrient from what I had fed him? He's about 4-5 lbs.

Thanks,
Helen

That sounds like gas. I think you give a bit too many treats, which aren't helping his GI tract. I would give at most 2 carrots a day, or one carrot and one other treat. Those other treats might be a bit too carb-y. I'd give him a dose of simethicone (brand name Mylicon or Ovol) made for babies when he looks like that. I'd also give him some probiotic like Bene-Bac or Probios. The food sounds like a good amount. Does he eat pellets at all?

Yes he is eating pellets. I feed him like 1 cup a day. By the next morning there is always about 1/4 or 1/3 cup left and so I just chuck it and refresh the food bowl again.

Oops I did not know that I was giving him too much treats. OK I will cut down on the carrot. I think I gave him about 4-5 small carrots today.

Are the meds you mention in food are pill-like objects or treat-like objects? How do I feed him with the meds?

Thanks!

Back