Cuddling with a bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaS

Reaction score
What is it call when you flip the bunny on its back?
And also should I try doing this? If yes,how?

I just want to get him to be a little more cuddly.

I call it "trancing". But it hasn't helped any ofmy buns to be more cuddly. They kinda cuddle on their own terms, tranceor no trance.

Sometimes when I think I've got them tranced, they suddenly flip back over. I think they just like to psyc me out!:p

Jim

I pick my bun up under the crook of one arm anduse the other hand to position it on it's back. Then you just stroketheir foreheads, they will usually let their head fall back and look"tranced". You can try doing it with them wrapped in a towel the firstcouple times so you and your bun don't get hurt. Sometimes they freakout about being on their back and they struggle really hard to getright side up. I know there is a good thread here somewhere ontrancing. I will see if I can find it later.

Fergi's mom

If you can get them on their back and get them tolay still they should go into a trance. All of my buns are differentwith this. S'more and Moo Shu absolutley refuse most of the time. I cantrance Brindle very easily. Either that or she just likes to lay on herback:)

You don't really have to do anything. If you can get them on their back it just happens.

Some of the better "Bunnie Whisperers" might have some additional advice.

Jim

Spiced77 wrote:
some bunnies just arent cuddly types.. mine dont like to beheld, but if i sit on the floor with them theyre all over me :)

That sounds like Chernish. He loves when we sit on the floor with him. This is the only time I get lots of kisses.

Yesterday I tried putting him on the couch, he got scared and refusedto eat the raisins. So finally when i tried to flip him, he justflipped right back. So I had to put him on the floor. He ran away tohide in his carrier.

I never have any luck with trancing. :(

Manny Jr. wakes up as soon as I finish stroking no matter how long I do.

And Cleo, I cannot even get her flipped.

JimD wrote:
If youcan get them on their back and get them to lay still they should gointo a trance. All of my buns are different with this. S'more and MooShu absolutley refuse most of the time. I can trance Brindle veryeasily. Either that or she just likes to lay on her back:)

You don't really have to do anything. If you can get them on their back it just happens.

Some of the better "Bunnie Whisperers" might have some additional advice.

Jim
something i'm not good at giving writteninstructionson. However comeon over for a visit I can showvery easily(i know it's not you who asked just saying ingeneral LOL) i helped a girl recently trance her large bun.Who else is better at hands on than at writing/writteninstructions???

I don't have any lucktrancing Nepo, it works better for me when I cradle him in my lap. Butthere is probably something that I'm doing wrong, because when he waslittle he liked being tranced, but since I thought it was bad for him Istopped and maybe disencouraged him.

Trancing is good for relaxing them when you haveto cut their nails. But picking your bunny up like he is dirty worksreally well too. The way you hold him is you put yourhandsunder your bunny's paws and then put one hand under their bottom tosupport them. The hand that is under their paw should be kind of onfront of their paw like on their heart.

Trancing doesn't necessarily make a bunnycuddlier. Some bunnies learn to tolerate being held on their backs,some love it, and some hate it. I only trance my bunnies to clip nailsand check their teethand I have been trancing lately to getthem used to it so it's easier when I have to.

Back