Crystals

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixieStixxxx

Reaction score
Spanky has crystals :(

He is on metacam for the pain, and recently he had a kidney flush with IV and sub q fluidswhere hopefully he peed it all out.

Would a kidney flush get rid of the crystals? Or does it seem like a chronic problem?

He doesn't have calcium deposits in his urine. But he won't stop peeing on himself. I take him to the groomers every so often to half his legs shaved because of all the urine soaked fur. I have a spray with micro emulsions for sensitive skin that will help...he HATES it when I spray his legs.

He started peeing on himself after his second eye flush (poor little boy also has a tear duct not working, so all the eye goop gets stuck in the duct, and he needs to have it cleaned out every month and a half to two months). And the eye thing started after his first bout of stasis two years ago. I don't know if they're related or its some weird coincidence :?

Aw, poor Spank!

Here's a good rundown if you didn't see it before.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/generalities/Sludge.htm

I just read it very quickly and got the impression from the page that all rabbits will have some crystals, but obviously if he's incontinent there is something up.

Is there no bacterial infection?

Is he seeing Upjohn?

Cranberry is good, it will help keep the nasties from sticking to the bladder lining.

Metacam does lessen the plasma flow to the kidneys I do believe, so hydration on Metacam is particularly important.

What is is diet? It may or may not be related, but I think a change is in order just to be safe. I'd change pellet brands, hay source and veggie selections just to test it out.

What are the tear duct symptoms? Pipp has a runny eye, I think she had an old injury to her third eye lid that damaged the duct, but I haven't had any treatment for it (after the initial visit), I just clean her eye for her, it's no better or worse. But I hear about duct issues a lot.

Hope he's feeling better soon!

sas :clover:

I would think a bladder flush would help. They may come back, but I think getting blood work done will help determine if meds are needed to help the kidneys work better, which can be one of the causes of bladder crystals.

Latest posts

Back