Crust in eyes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margarita

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a quick question. I notice that my bunny gets a small amount of crust in the corner of her eyes. I just wipe it away when I feel something is there. Is this normal? She's not showing any signs of pain or discomfort.

thanks

is it like when humans get "sleep" in the corner of their eyes? if so, it's perfectly normal. if you have a bonded pair, they'll usually groom that off for each other, but with a solo bunny sometimes their human needs to do it.

I have the same issue with mine, I just wipe it away and she is fine!=]

What you're describing sounds normal but if it's coming out in fun colors or you're also noticing nasal discharge (either on the nose or on the inside of the forearm region where they wipe their nose), that may be a sign of a problem.

It is more or less normal. Depends on the bunny and is definitely something to ask the vet about. We have several different kinds of bunnies and the flat-faced ones (nethie and holland lop) get these "eye crusties" a lot. The nethie gets them so much that I clear them out for her twice daily, a task her bonded hus-bun used to do. If they get too intense, we have an antibiotic ointment from the vet that we put on her eyes as she sometimes gets a low-grad infection/irritation of her tear ducts that leads to this buildup. This is a side effect of the smooshed face of these breeds--it can lead to tear duct malformation. We monitor this closely and it doesn't change a lot, but when it does, we have medicine for it. If there is a large change in the amount or type of eye crusties, it should be seen by a vet. Also if there is nose runniness like missyscove said, it could be another symptom of an upper respiratory infection.

So to make a long story short, it can be normal or abnormal depending on the bunny and whether there are other URI symptoms.

saw vet yesterday and brought it up he said its normal and her eyes look good. Its a small amount every couple of days. Thanks for all the info everyone!

Latest posts

Back