Crust around nipples?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catrx

Reaction score
Hi, today I felt a bump and this is what I assume to be one of her nipples. Its coated with crust and I sent the vet pictures to determine the next course of action. I found at least 2 more nipples crusting. Anyone has any idea what this is?

She was spayed almost 2 months ago

Attachments

• IMG_4290.jpeg
    IMG_4290.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Actually looks like mange mites to me. That type of crusting is typically how it presents. Though I haven't ever seen it start out on the nipples before, but it can certainly happen. Check the feet and toes, especially around the nail beds. If it's there too, it's definitely mange.

Treatment is with Ivermectin or Revolution/Stronghold (selamectin), with my preference being the selamectin, as it might be a little safer for certain breeds of rabbits that are sensitive to ivermectin.

Medirabbit: sarcoptes mange

Actually looks like mange mites to me. That type of crusting is typically how it presents. Though I haven't ever seen it start out on the nipples before, but it can certainly happen. Check the feet and toes, especially around the nail beds. If it's there too, it's definitely mange.

Treatment is with Ivermectin or Revolution/Stronghold (selamectin), with my preference being the selamectin, as it might be a little safer for certain breeds of rabbits that are sensitive to ivermectin.

Medirabbit: sarcoptes mange
Hi,

I checked the nails and I don’t see any crusting, I checked both my rabbits.
Upon further investigation, my female rabbit has swollen nipples and I found one irregular sized nipple with different crusting and not all of them have this round crust. Some have a little bit

Hopefully your vet can determine what's going on. If your rabbit wasn't spayed, I'd be concerned about reproductive problems, but that shouldn't be the case with your doe having had that done.

Hopefully your vet can determine what's going on. If your rabbit wasn't spayed, I'd be concerned about reproductive problems, but that shouldn't be the case with your doe having had that done.
In case it is mange, wouldn’t my other bunny get infected? They are together 24/7 and I don’t see them itching that often. Upon googling abit more, it may be discharge from the nipples or something called Mammary carcinoma. Either way, all suggestions sound horrifying..I don’t have access to my usual vet at the moment though I did sent him pictures. Tomorrow I will ask for a scraping of the crusting at the other vet to hopefully get a headstart

One bun being affected doesn't necessarily mean the other bun will be affected at the same rate, if it is mange. Though both should certainly be treated even if one bun isn't showing signs yet. It's possible your one bun was more susceptible due to just having surgery and it weakened her immune system.

If this is mange and your vet prescribes the spot on Revolution/Stronghold (selamectin), because it's applied topically, your rabbits will likely need to be kept separate for I think 24 hours (package instructions should give info), so they don’t try and groom it off each other. There's a possibility that a temporary separation could affect their bond. So this might make using ivermectin instead, less hassle as it can be given as injection or orally, depending on what your vet prescribes. Then your rabbits wouldn't need to be separated.

In case the vet didn't mention this or you aren't aware, both rabbits should be brought to the vet together. Not only because they're a bonded pair and it's best not to separate them as it can affect the bond, but also because if mange is found on your one bun, the vet may also want to check your other rabbit.

Though mange certainly isn't something anyone would want their rabbit to have, in this case I do hope this is all your rabbit has and it isn't the alternative. Mange, though a pain to deal with, is treatable.

One bun being affected doesn't necessarily mean the other bun will be affected at the same rate, if it is mange. Though both should certainly be treated even if one bun isn't showing signs yet. It's possible your one bun was more susceptible due to just having surgery and it weakened her immune system.

If this is mange and your vet prescribes the spot on Revolution/Stronghold (selamectin), because it's applied topically, your rabbits will likely need to be kept separate for I think 24 hours (package instructions should give info), so they don’t try and groom it off each other. There's a possibility that a temporary separation could affect their bond. So this might make using ivermectin instead, less hassle as it can be given as injection or orally, depending on what your vet prescribes. Then your rabbits wouldn't need to be separated.

In case the vet didn't mention this or you aren't aware, both rabbits should be brought to the vet together. Not only because they're a bonded pair and it's best not to separate them as it can affect the bond, but also because if mange is found on your one bun, the vet may also want to check your other rabbit.

Though mange certainly isn't something anyone would want their rabbit to have, in this case I do hope this is all your rabbit has and it isn't the alternative. Mange, though a pain to deal with, is treatable.
Thanks for the info. Luckily all it was is dried milk from one of her false pregnancies. I don’t usually check her nipples for any infections or anything so I was surprised when I saw this.

Do you think this was left over from a pre spay false pregnancy, or do you think this happened recently, after her spay?

Do you think this was left over from a pre spay false pregnancy, or do you think this happened recently, after her spay?
I don’t really know since to be honest I did not check the nipples until now. One of them had slightly less crust with yellow that looked exactly like old milk would look like if left to dry. I am sure the vet would have told me if something was up after he shaved her bits but if he didn’t I assume he knew it was just dried milk and left it at that. She was wearing a onesie for at least 2 weeks post spay. Would have maybe contributed to the dried up milk maybe

Back