Critical Care

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard cordingley

Reaction score
Hi All.
I hope you are well. Last week my rabbit was off her food and was in despair knowing the need to keep a rabbits gut working. Anyway I tried her on critical care powder using a spoon for her to take it. She took to having it off the spoon and I gave her hand an egg cup full every hour and she loved it. Over two days she started to get her appetite back and is eating her hay etc now. I wondered what is in this that can give these results? The vet said she needs to lose weight so I wondered if anyone had any tips on helping a rabbit to lose weight food wise? I will get her out in her outdoor pen more of course too. How long can a rabbit have critical care? She loves it.

Critical Care is similar to the ingredients in pellets, just in powder form. There are some rabbits with health conditions that do have to have it long term, so it shouldn't be a problem for yours either. Though I would recommend trying to find the cause of why your rabbit wasn't eating her usual foods but would eat the Critical Care, so you don't have to continue feeding Critical Care once the issue is sorted out.

There isn't anything special in it, but because it's a mush and easy to chew and eat, some rabbits with dental issues will eat it more easily and readily than their other foods like pellets, hay, and veggies.

Encouraging weight loss is about reducing higher calorie foods. So less pellets and high carb foods(eg. carrots, grains, fruit, etc) and more grass hay, but one that's not a really rich soft cut(eg. third cut).

Critical Care is similar to the ingredients in pellets, just in powder form. There are some rabbits with health conditions that do have to have it long term, so it shouldn't be a problem for yours either. Though I would recommend trying to find the cause of why your rabbit wasn't eating her usual foods but would eat the Critical Care, so you don't have to continue feeding Critical Care once the issue is sorted out.

There isn't anything special in it, but because it's a mush and easy to chew and eat, some rabbits with dental issues will eat it more easily and readily than their other foods like pellets, hay, and veggies.

Encouraging weight loss is about reducing higher calorie foods. So less pellets and high carb foods(eg. carrots, grains, fruit, etc) and more grass hay, but one that's not a really rich soft cut(eg. third cut).
Thank you for your reply. I have reduced the critical to once a day and she is eating Hay and less pellets. I give her less greens now only a handful twice a day.

Back