Critical care for rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s’moresthebunny123

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I recently picked up some critical care, as my vet said I should always have it on hand just in case. I was wondering if I can use it to help my rabbit gain weight and poop more normally? He’s eating his vegetables and hay perfectly(not as much hay as I would like) but his poops are still pretty small and dark. I’ll attach a picture. I don’t have a syringe yet, so could I use a spoon to feed it? Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 6
I would give your bunny less vegetables and see if he will eat more hay. Critical care is only if your bunny refuse eating food and you need your bunny to keep on having gut movements and get food and water in the system.

How much pellets and treats do your bunny get in one day?

I would give your bunny less vegetables and see if he will eat more hay. Critical care is only if your bunny refuse eating food and you need your bunny to keep on having gut movements and get food and water in the system.

Ok! He gets two table spoons of pellets and a full plate of leafy greens every day. He doesn’t really get treats, besides a price of banana or carrot once or twice a week. How many veggies should I be feeding to help him eat more hay? The rest of my family thinks I’m starving him because he always acts so hungry.

I’ve also noticed, that he has been sitting hunched- like the in pain rabbit position. He has been doing this for a while and he usually sits like that. I’m not sure what that means in combination with his small dark poops. Also, I read the coloring of the pee depends on the vegetables he eats, but his pee looks red and sometimes yellow? Is that normal?

The color of urine will have different color depending of the diet from pale yellow to red/deep orange. For example carrot and dandelion will make the urine look red.

The hunched position can also be a position your bunny like resting in.

You can start with feeding less pellets or take away pellets, to see if he will eat more hay. Pellets aren’t an important part of a bunnies diet instead of making the greens less.

What I have heard bunnies should have between one to two cups of vegetables depending on what size your bunny is. You can decrease the veggies amount and see what will work best for your own bunny. At least until he get a bit larger droppings 😊

Like one of my bunnies can only eat one teaspoon of pellets, if I would give him one tablespoon his stomach will get messed up because it will be too much for him and he will get small dark droppings and a lot cecotropes.

A good website about droppings as long you don’t mind pictures. It can help you later on to use as warning signs and hints on your bunnies health : Guide to Bunny Poops

I have one rabbit that has a lot of cecotropes that he doesn't eat if get him hay from a farm. If I buy him Orchard Grass hay from a pet store, the problem goes away. My other 3 rabbits don't have a problem with farm hay.

Latest posts

Back