Critical Care, Bene Bac & Amazon.com etc

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orchid

Reaction score
So I went on a hunt for Critical Care. What I came to understand so far is that one, none of the local pet stores or normal Vets carry a darn thing. VERY frustrating. One store carried the...454g bag for like 23 bucks. (My vet sells it for 30)
Here I am though with maybe a 2 pound bun. I really don't want that size bag.
My local vet that is well about 45 minutes away is offering up the 141g bag for a little over 16 dollars. It still seems like a bunch.

If you check online from the places that Oxbow lists and then add in shipping costs well whats the point. eh!!
Not to mention that I want/need Bene Bac on hand again.

At Tractor Supply Store I am having trouble getting the Digest Probios Equine One - that sells for 7.49. It will take them 2 weeks to get that in.

So what I was just checking out on Amazon was these few things and I thought I would share it with you all.

Bene-Bac® Pet Gel, 15g syringe by PetAg
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000661CX2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It is selling as a Add On for 4.99

Oxbow Critical Care Apple/Banana Pet Supplement, 141gm
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FKACXO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It was 9 something but is now listed at 10.00

Super Pet Small Animal Nut Knot Nibbler Chew Toy
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DJEYI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This is also listed as an Add On for 3.99

LW Nibblers, Willow Chews, Balls
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005F3FCOQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This was 6.84

This made my order total $25.63.
What I did was join that Amazon Prime free for 30 days and that gets you free shipping. 2 day free shipping. Otherwise you pay the shipping etc etc.
The add on items require you to have the 25 total which is personally why I added on the willow balls and nut nibbler. I wanted the Bene Bac.

Now at my Vet I would have spent about $30 anyway with just the 141g Critical Care and Bene anyway. So This I think is a good deal and get toys out of it anyway. I want the items before our vet visit on Wed and we should have them by Tuesday.

I just thought I would share this with you all who might be annoyed with the store and vet price gouging that seems to go on. Or even being able to find it. Ugh. Nonsense.
Now the one vet did tell me that the CC is supposed to be good for a year once opened.
A more bun savy person here might be able to say if that is accurate.

Does anyone know if that tiny bag of 36g actually comes in the apple banana? I had a pet store person ordering it for me for about 11 bucks telling me it wasn't just the anise...but it doesn't seem to say so from Oxbows Website.
I can't imagine my girl eating anything licorice flavored.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's funny you listed this. I just got all that in today from Amazon.

I ordered it to send to the Rabbit Rescue in Poland to help Gosling and the other bunnies out.

The 36G only comes in Apple Banana, I can't get Annise. BUT I don't believe that, because some of the one's I got in smaller bags that said flavored Apple Banana came without a flavor on the bag. I tried to go to the Oxbow web site and could not find any more info either. I went to Ebay to try and find it also.

The ones I ordered from Amazon in Anise came with no flavor info on it, so I have no idea if they stopped making it?

All the ones I ordered under ANISE does not have ANY flavor on it at all?! And I mean BOTH 454Gram/One Pound and
the smaller 100 gram bags and smaller bags.. So is it no longer available?

On the Amazon site it was listed as ANISE. And I also ordered it from Ebay from a seller that had it a few dollars cheaper with FREE Shipping. I am Amazon Prime anyway for the movies and TV shows... I got it on my Samsung Smart TV so whenever I order it's always 2 day free, or one day free upgrade.

What I'm trying to order and cannot find here to send over to them for head tilt is the ponazuril.
It's not available in Poland. My vet's don't carry it. They use something else that they already have.
Does anyone here have access to PONAZURIL? I will send money for 2 tubes of it. I Can't get it online and
Amazon does not have it for rabbits.

Vanessa

I think Guinea Pigs like the Anise.. more so than Rabbits...

Digest Probios Equine One I think I saw on Amazon and Ebay... did you check there? Are you giving that to Sloane to help out? We have Tractor Supply Stores around me also. I should call them up and see if they have it in stock..

Or is this the one you were looking for? They have it in crackers and I see it's in gel here:
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=2e87c3f3-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

Vanessa

Last edited:
Digest Probios Equine One I think I saw on Amazon and Ebay... did you check there? Are you giving that to Sloane to help out? We have Tractor Supply Stores around me also. I should call them up and see if they have it in stock..

Or is this the one you were looking for? They have it in crackers and I see it's in gel here:
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=2e87c3f3-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

Vanessa

I recall from prior RO threads that the Digest Probios Equine One can be given if you can't get the Bene Bac for one reason or another.

Just happens the Tractor Supply store by me had half squished out tubes and I was like yeah no I am not buying that.
Now the Bene from my vet is over 12 bucks while the same thing at Tractor supply is a smidge over 7?
I ever need to mind my dollars you know?
I just can't justify giving all the money to the vet just because they can charge it if I shop smarter.

PONAZURIL - That is what I am looking to probably get for Sloane on Wed...one can't get that without a Vet script can they?
Oddly I do recall seeing a bunch of things over at Tractor Supply to treat horses. I don't think that was one of them but you never know what gold you might find there.

Ponzuril does require a rx, but even then you wouldn't want to get it yourself as you have to buy a whole tube which is $200, plus you have to dilute the mixture. Much cheaper and easier to get from your vet. There is toltrazuril that is I believe, metabolized into ponzuril, and there are some online places that sell it without a rx, but I don't know how legit these sites are. The official toltrazuril is from Baycox, and I don't believe it is sold in the US. The site selling liquid toltrazuril, has it for $45, so if you are only paying $30 from the vet, you might as well go with the vet, being cheaper and plus you know for sure what you are getting.

Sometimes you need to buy from the vet, but it's always MUCH cheaper if you can either buy online, or get from a pharmacy. I just can't believe how much vets gouge you for meds. I think they would be better off selling at more reasonable prices, then people would be less inclined to feel like they need to get it somewhere else. My vet sold me a $25 bottle of metacam for $40. I can get twice the amount and triple the strength, compounded at a local pharmacy, for $20. I don't mind paying a few extra dollars, but when they are charging almost double, it's just a bit ridiculous.

Amazon is my go to for a lot of things. I am a Prime member, worth the 79.00/yr. for the free 2 day shipping alone but, you get more perks than just that. If you are like me and have to order a lot of things you just can't get locally, it's worth the Prime membership fees and, it's nice to know you will have what you need in 2 days.

I know the vet here gouges horribly too. I could buy Ivemec from him for 45.00 for a 300 ML bottle or, go 2 miles away to the feed store and get the same thing for 15.00. I get the heart worm meds for my wolfdogs online, form Sweden actually. 85.00 at the vet or 34.00 - shipping and all online for six doses. Vets simply charge way too much for anything you get there.

The critical care that doesn't say apple banana on it is the anise flavored one.

The 36 gram little bags only come in anise flavor. I have quite a few of those around I've collected as samples but I also have a few bags of the apple banana that I purchased. I'd offer to send people my 36 gram bags but they technically expire this month so I doubt anyone would want them. I'm always surprised when I see how expensive critical care is in stores that happen to carry it. I can get it significantly cheaper because I get a discount as a vet student. Luckily we haven't needed any of my supply lately though!

The critical care that doesn't say apple banana on it is the anise flavored one.

The 36 gram little bags only come in anise flavor. I have quite a few of those around I've collected as samples but I also have a few bags of the apple banana that I purchased. I'd offer to send people my 36 gram bags but they technically expire this month so I doubt anyone would want them. I'm always surprised when I see how expensive critical care is in stores that happen to carry it. I can get it significantly cheaper because I get a discount as a vet student. Luckily we haven't needed any of my supply lately though!

Missy I would take them.. let me know if you would like me to send you money for postage and whatever to cover the cost of the bags..send me a PM.

Vanessa

I'm calling my vet Monday about the Ponzuril. I found a site selling half a box online for a hundred and something. I was almost thinking about buying it. You never know when it might come in handy!

Vanessa

Latest posts

Back