Crazy rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ama124

Reaction score
Late Saturday night Thumper attacked my boyfriendTim. Thumper kept jumping on the couch and pooping and Timtook him off and put him on the floor. Thats when Thumperstarted biting his ankles and feet. He got him about 3 timesthat broke the skin. Then when he went to pick up the poopoff the couch Thumper bit his hands hard! He has a bunch ofbite marks on his hands. Tim didn't do anything differentthan we normally do. I can't figure out why Thumper wentcrazy on him. Any ideas?

Is he neutered? Aggression in rabbits is often times associated with sexual frustration/hormones.

He also may not have liked the way Tim handled him. They'reterritorial and it probably really ticked him off. Best wayto combat it is to say OUCH! or NO! You may wish to read thefollowing article.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/aggression.html#basics

-Carolyn

We don't think he is nuetered and that wassomething that we thought could be a factor. I was sosuprised because he has never bit me at all, only nibbled so lightlythat I could hardly feel it. He nibbles at Tim a littleharder sometimes, but it is definately different than biting out ofanger.

I don't know about rabbits -- but ---when my husband and I were dating I had a little male Siamesekitten. His name was Sam. Sam didn't like myhusband to be, he was very protective of me !!!!!!!If My husband and I kissed the silly twerp would start hissing andgrowling at him. He attacked him more than once and even lefta baby tooth in his foot. I think Thumper justloves you too much and doesn't want to shareyou.----- Kim

Sometimes those nibbles are actually love nibblesand the rabbits don't know that it hurts and to replace them withkisses. They learn if you scream "OUCH!" when ithappens.

It sounds like your little guy knew what he wanted last night: Tim's blood. Mybunnies has a good point too.

Between his not being fixed, his getting shooed off of his territory,he may not have liked how Tim handled him and was letting him know thathe better not do that again, it sounds like you've got quite thecase.Neutering not only mellows most rabbits out,but it's better for their health.

I would suspect it's mainly due to him not being neutered and hisfrustration. Sometimes it's genetics, butI wouldn'tworry too much about that as he's been good up to this point.

-Carolyn

Sometimes Thumper runs in circles aroundme. I have read that this may be linked to sexual behaviortoo. I think its a riot. He will run around my legsand then through them, like we are dancing. I want to takehim to a vet and find out how old he is and if he isnuetered. Do you know how much that might cost?

At my veterinarian's, neutering, with a sleepover at the hospital is $65.

The circling you is a form of flirting/courting. He's lettingyou know he's got a crush on you. My male used to used that,but it's stopped since I got him neutered. I get kisses nowinstead.

Tell Tim to just counter his nastiness with being nice to him andtalking to him with love. I know that's hard to do for him,but it may bring him around.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back