craisins, raisins -

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaf

Reaction score
Its well known in the dog community that raisins are toxic to dogs.

Has anything been proven one way or another as far as rabbits go? I read here that craisins are a staple in treats for rabbits but I still kind of have my concerns.

Ringo has been eating crasins for 2 years and nothing. It helped us reward him for being a good boy during shots. My vet though it was a great idea.

I've been feeding both raisens and craisens as treats for as long as I've had Floppy and he is fine. He loves them.

I read somewhere that raisins are high in iron and may cause stomach issues with some rabbits.

Having said that, I give my rabbits both raisins and craisins sparingly and they are fine.

I didn't know raisins were bad for dogs!

I've been feeding my bunny raisins and craisins regularly for almost as long as I've had her, which is a year. She seems fine, not even overweight. It's the only way to get her happily into her cage!

I've kind of scratched my head at the craisins, too. I have a huge bag in my pantry (yay Costco) so have plenty for potential bunny treats, but they have added sugar. I know they're tiny, but bunnies are, too. Would it be better maybe to feed them Just Fruit, the dehydrated fruits you can buy in the health section of the grocery store? I feed my ratties high quality lab blocks and they also daily get a mix of healthy yummies that includes Just Fruit.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
I've kind of scratched my head at the craisins, too. I have a huge bag in my pantry (yay Costco) so have plenty for potential bunny treats, but they have added sugar.

They have unsweetened craisins and banana chips at the Food Pantry( or whatever it's called:p) in Anchorage, I haven't tried the unsweetened craisins yet, but I would think that if your bun likes them it would be fine.

And most people here use craisins as a once-twice a week treat so that the extra sugar doesn't cause problems.

I feed them raisins for a good treat, apples for a regular treat. Craisins are pretty rare for them, but they LOVE them. I haven't had any problems from the use of them, although if I give Brigitte too many she'll have squishy poo, but she gets squishy poo from regular pellets anyway, so I guess she's a special case.

gwhoosh wrote:
I didn't know raisins were bad for dogs!

I've been feeding my bunny raisins and craisins regularly for almost as long as I've had her, which is a year. She seems fine, not even overweight. It's the only way to get her happily into her cage!
Me Either! Granted we don't feed those to any of them but we use craisens and the dog eats those also...... is that safe?!

Yeah, I give mine a few raisins maybe once a month (I'm kinda crazy careful when sugary stuff is concerned, with the buns AND with Em). I've never had a problem...and find that Maisie will chew my HEAD off if I don't give them to her now and then. Heck, with her, I have to be careful she won't bite off my fingers when she smells they're nearby!

I should get a video of her reaction to smelling raisins...hmm...:ponder:

Edited to add: I've also given them craisins (which Maisie looked at disappointingly as if to say, "Hey...where's the RAISINS?!"). Both are perfectly safe to give buns SPARINGLY. :)

Oh, something that's super cute, is if I put a raisin between my teeth, any of my buns can take it out and it's like a little kiss. It totally amazes people when I do that (what do they think the buns are going to do? tear off my face? that could only happen if I DIDN'T give them the raisins!)

Oh and they'll all get excited if they hear the container of raisins open up.

Leaf wrote:
Its well known in the dog community that raisins are toxic to dogs.
They have to eat a serious amount of grapes/raisins/prunes/plums. As in, a lot, for it to be toxic.

I think a lot of it depends on the size of the dog and it's overall health.

I'd personally avoid something known to cause renal failure, as the cost to treat and/or maintain is often prohibitive to many - leading to early euthanasia.

Latest posts

Back