CPU constantly overheating.. any solutions?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm posting this because I'm not very tech savvy and I'm facing an extremely annoying problem. With the weather warming up, this computer is constantly turning off during the day. Especially when I have a bunch of stuff opened or am watching a movie, that's usually when the computer decides to heat up and turn itself off. Very inconvenient when you are working on something!

The back fan is working since I feel air coming off the back, though can usually tell a few minutes before this thing goes out that it's going to turn off because the air coming out the back is usually warm. I haven't opened it up yet, but I'm afraid of damaging something.

Is this something best to be taken into a computer shop to get cleaned out? When I was searching online, I heard that dustandgunk can build up tocause this? It is a couple years old and to my knowledge, never been cleaned out.

Thanks!

I would try to clean it myself first if I was you. I wonder if that is really the problem though. I can't remember the last time I cleaned mine, I am sure it was a lot longer then a couple of years though. I would look online and see if something else can cause your computer to over heat. I would also make sure it is in an area that allows good ventilation. I would maybe try to put a regular fan blowing on it to try and keep it cool.

I would try that stuff first. Here it is expensive to get your computer worked on, even if it is something small. I don't know if you have Geek Squad there. But here if you call they will usually answer basic questions for free. You could call and ask them what makes a computer over heat and shut off.

Okay first off, this is probably something u could do for a few bucks than paying $20-$50/hr. First go down to your local like walmart and buy a can of air (condessed air). Tipically like $5 rough or so here. And put it nearby where you know where it is!!!! (i tipically forget where i put it lol)

If your not afraid with the computer running take off the side of the computer and place your hand near the "CPU" fan (it'll be small than the big one on your power supply). See if it is turning any air. If not follow the steps posted.

1st TURN OFF THE COMPUTER AND UNPLUG THE POWER FROM THE COMPUTER!!!! Once that is done put your hands on that big power supply, it will work as an anti-shock magnet.

2nd take off the side of your computer that links to the inside, see if there are any dust bunnies around. Tipically are. If you can locate the fan sticking out on the top half of the board. Look at it with a good light and see if it's really dusty.

If this is thecase justread the label to take off the tab, put on the tube and go hog wild, about an inch away from the CPU fan probably for a few seconds. If u find some more dust bunnies go about it the same way. It's best not to use your own breath as it's water based and not condessed air.

3rd plug in that cord and turn it back on! See if that fan again is now blowing air.

This is the #1 source for why a computer will over heat and cheapeast. There are others!!!!! Try this method first and see if it works. Saves u time from spending $20/$50hr + labor! All for a cheap "do it yourself" method.

Who doesn't love saving money?

When I took my laptop to the shop to have it cleaned (it was overheating, too), the opened it up and a bunny-hair-puff came lofting out of the fan. lol

I would open it up and clean out any fluffy/dust. Check to make sure everything is cleaned and the fan is working properly.

I know my computer was making more noise and seemed to be getting hotter then usual. The ventalation holes were getting clogged with dust and when I opened the case up there was lots of dust and fluff balls inside. Cleaned it all up and it went back to sounding normal and not getting as hot.

If that doesn't help then I would take it in. But its worth cleaning it out before spending money taking it to get fixed.

Be careful with opening your PC yourself; that may void the warranty.
You may have to get it cleaned by a professional. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it were full of animal hair (mine was!)
If you go to any electronics store, there should be laptop cooling pads available. I have them under my PC and PS3, and the overheating problems have been resolved

Thanks everyone! Checked out the sites.. so will have an attempt at some of the solution. I just don't want to fry the computer like some of those sites warns, yikes! I'll at least open it up and check inside and maybe call a tech help line to see if they might be able to walk me through the process.

I think webought this computer in 2005? So I'll have to double check, but I think the warranty is over, so I think I'm good to open it up and have a look.

Thanks again! Since it's cooled down (17C compared to 30C) it's only turned off 3 times today, compared to every 15 minutes! Seems to be worse at night though.

First off are we talking about a laptop or a desktop? You didn't really specify. A desktop i wouldn't worry about "frying it" unless it's on carpet. I have honestly worked on many computers and never once fried it. Touching the power supply after the power has been cut is a great to get the anti-shock off if u have any on.

If desktop:
It's really quick prodcedure... it'll take maybe.. 2 mins tops really! U'll need 1 can of air and a screwdriver and know where the CPU fan is (the only fan on the motherboard).
It's actually a lot easier than you'd ever imagine!!! I taught my sister how to work around in a desktop and she's never fried the computer ever!

If laptop:
Take to someone who knows what they are doing. Laptops pads aren't always guarenteed to help at all. Rebecca has had 2 of them and neither of them kept it from overheating. The newer laptops now a days u don't need to worry much about overheating unless u do a lot of high tech stuff. My own laptop only gets really hot if i have a blanket under it. Doesn't get hot at all sitting in my bed all night or in my lap.

My other 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back