could messy bottom be from Panacur?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Babette had been on bicillin for about 7days and seemed to be responding well. She was then placed on Panacur for possible e-cuniculi. I have noticed that her bottom is messy and butt very poopy since starting the Panacur. Is this common?

I was thinking that I gave her a lot of greens yesterday (and past few days)..I am going to cut back on them and see if it makes a difference.

She has needed to have butt baths past couple days and I am so afraid of a fly getting in here.....

pla725 wrote:
I was thinking it was more a diet related issue than medication.

When my Pippi was on Panacur for EChe never had any poopy butt issues,and because Dr Lee prescribed my other bunnies with panacur as well just in case of EC,they also never had poopy butt..so yeah maybe it's just diet related...i'm not sure though if some medications can affect bunnies in a way and not others though.

Cheryl

I never read that GI issues were related to Panacur; it isn't listed as a side-effect. It just seemed to me that because it is a de-wormer also that it could have other side effects.

I bought the Safeguard fenbendazole for goats. It gave the dosage on the bottle. Whe it is used to deworm an animal a much smaller dosage is used than for ec in rabbits.
I am calling it Panacur but I really mean fenbenzadole .

Anyway i'll see how it goes...she is so debilitated that I just don't think that she's going to be with me much longer. :(

Just enjoy her remaining time. She will let you know when it is time to let her go. Smittenseems to be in theearly stage of EC but I know from previous experience that she can go downhill at anytime.

Babette is bonded to a little male holland lop that is several yrs younger. I bonded them when he was only about 10 weeks old and it was love at first sight.
She is like his mother.
If it wasn't for him I wouldn't be as focused on keeping her going; he is totally dependent on her and doesn't even like me

I can't stand the thought of him being without her.
Even now when she is barely able to stand up he is running to her and she will groom him.

It really breaks my heart :(.........

Oh Maureen, I am so sorry to hear that Babette is not doing well.

I personally have never had those side effects from Bicillin or Panacur (I use the stuff youre talking about with new bunnies I rescue).

Is she a big hay eater? If so, I would keep her on limited pellets and lots of hay and water. It may be the greens or any other carbs that are causing the poopy butt.

I'll be praying for your little girl. I Know how much she means to you. :hug:

Thanks Haley..

Actually Babette hasn't been eating hay like she used to...I do make a pellet and critical care combination that she eats every day plus greens and some alfalfa but her intake of timothy hay has been down for awhile.

Haley..
Babette has not been doing wellprobably since last fall. I don't post that much about her because I have felt so hopeless. There is not a vet here that can deal with bicillin or anything other than Rabbits 101
I got info about bicillin from this forum and alsoRandy and put her on it myself.

The respiratory issues are not the issues right now but she has developed a lot of neurological problems.
The vet I took her to last week told me that she has no sensation in her right foot or her left front paw. She has a lot of mobility problems, falls over a lot but doesn't have headtilt or an ear infection.
We are treating her for ec but really don't now if that's the problem.

All in all the situation is :(..

BUT she still likes to eat and still has a good relationship with Beauwhich to me means that she has some quality of life :D

Latest posts

Back