Could Freckles be a giant breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorguarder08

Reaction score
So it seems Freckles is not the adult I thought she was. She seems to be growing and it's not just me who thinks so. here are some pictures of when I first got her.

14416_280235_440000000.jpg

14416_281517_000000000.jpg

14416_281515_010000000.jpg

and here are some of her now

14416_242022_070000000.jpg

14416_242024_030000000.jpg

14416_242025_000000000.jpg

keep in mind I have had her for offically 2 months today.

she was definitely a baby when you got her. the first pic says it all. she looks like she is growing into her ears now :)
she may not be a giant breed but she is going to be a big bunny! :)

Those ears look like that of my Checkered Giant....HUGE! However, her hind feet don't look huge. I would say she still has a little growing to do, but she is not going to b overly huge.

I talked to my aunt the night I posted this thread and posted most of these same pics on my facebook for her to look at since she used to raise checkered giants when she was growing up and she told me that from the looks of it Freckles may very well be a checkered giant. when I got her she was 3.3lbs I will have to weigh her again soon so I can tell you guys how big she is. She also told me that from the looks of it she is under 6 months old so should I be feeding her alphafa (sp?) hay instead of timothy which she is currently eating.

Colorguarder08 wrote:
I talked to my aunt the night I posted this thread and posted most of these same pics on my facebook for her to look at since she used to raise checkered giants when she was growing up and she told me that from the looks of it Freckles may very well be a checkered giant. when I got her she was 3.3lbs I will have to weigh her again soon so I can tell you guys how big she is. She also told me that from the looks of it she is under 6 months old so should I be feeding her alphafa (sp?) hay instead of timothy which she is currently eating.

Checkered giants do not come in the color that she is, but she could very well be a mix with it. I would estimate that Freckles was under 4 months when you got her based on her weight and the way she looks. Timothy hay is just fine for all rabbits. Some people like to give younger rabbits alfalfa for the extra protein it has but it is not going to hurt Freckles that she is eating timothy hay.

If she is a giant breed, then she will still be growing for a while yet. There is a Checkered giant/ Flemish giant cross in the hopping club that is about 6-7 months and still getting bigger (it shocks me how much he has grown every time I see him).
I would feed alfalfa pellets until at least 8 months, but possibly longer if she is still growing. You can give timothy and alfalfa hay. Growing rabbits do need extra nutrients compared to adults, so should be fed accordingly.

Latest posts

Back