Coughing, or sneezing I am not sure

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamboodles

Reaction score
Chance has sneezed or coughed twice now and the second time it sounded horse. I am not sure if he is coughing or sneezing or what. Yesterday I changed his the bottom of his C&C cage and washed his sheet, I was wondering could he be allergic to the laundry soap? Could I of used to much vinegar in the water or to much vinegar and water when I sprayed down the vinyl cover even tho I wiped it dry? Am I introducing the Timothy hay to fast? All he has ever had is pellet food. I gave him a carrot last night after the cage was all cleaned and fresh for him. He is pooping. Before he was popping all over now he is pooping in his hay box and not the litter box with the sifter so I just cleaned everything and moved the hay into the sifter box. I have noticed that Chance is very very picky. Is this sneezing/coughing allergies? Also Chance did get picked up last night to remove him from the cage which he did not like at all and I think he was very scared, could that also have something to do with it?

Is his nose wet? Is he wolfing down pellets? Is the hay dusty?

sas :bunnydance:

I'm confused what you're saying about the food.

Has he been on a pellets-only diet & you're introducing hay for the 1st time?

Is he eating greens.

How much carrot did you give? Carrots pieces should be treats.

How old is he?

If he's sneezing, check the inside of both front legs. They generally wipe their noses. If the fur is mushed down and wet, then he's been sneezing. Do you spray air fresheners in the house? Anything else in the air that's changed?

just in case it's pasturella I'd pop bunny on baytrill - pasturella it kills fast, and my rabbit that died never had any runny eyes or obvious snotty legs. I'm probably just being paranoid, but better safe than sorry. Definitely call a vet and see what they think. good luck. Erren x

Thank you all for your reply's. Chance is a rescue bun. I have no idea how old he is. I know he is not neutered and I know he has only had pellet food. When I brought Chance home I put him in a big C&C cage and gave him lots and lots of Timothy Hay and cut down his pellets to like half a cup. Now because would knock over his water bowel I use a crock pot for his water now and it is changed twice daily because he likes to put his Timothy hay in it. The litter pellets is wood pellets I bought from the Pardner a 40 pound sack. They are like pellets for a stove I can take a picture if you like. He sometimes puts his hands/paws on his face like he is cleaning himself. I also have been giving him some kale everyday also. Carrot I try about every other day for a treat. As for any sprays, no I don't use any. I clean his litter box once a day, twice if it needs it, and his sheet every other day. Here is Chance.
0718122348a.jpg

0718122347a.jpg

Everything sounds good about his food except that I'd reduce the kale to 2-3 times a week & add other greens like romaine, parsley or cilantro.

How often is he sneezing or coughing? Maybe if you keep track of when it happens, there will be some clue. It could be hay dust. Or dust from when you vacuum, or ... When you clean, are you using diluted white vinegar?

No sneezing or anything today. I will be picking up some roman, and cilantro, and parsley, as suggested today. The vinegar mix is just a hair over half full and the rest water, when I wash his sheet in the picture I pour regular vinegar in with my laundry soap I don't measure that just a few glurp glurps. Then I spray his vinyl lining down real good and wipe it down until it is dry. I also use the spray vinegar and water after I clean his litter box also to make sure it is extra clean as well and I make sure it is dry also.

Latest posts

Back