Cough (I think) and Fecal Changes...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
I'm wondering if these symptoms necessitate a vet visit soon. I ask because if I don't call my vet's office by tomorrow to make an appt., I may not even be able to get my rabbit in to see her this week.

Forthe lastfew days, our male bun has eaten somewhat less hay than he normally does in 24 hours. Yet he still has a good appetite overall (for hay, pellets and greens).

About four days ago, I heard him sneeze (maybe 2-3 times in one day). The next day, I thought that I heard a cough-like sound. Tonight, I heard that sound three times (once when I partially lifted him to "walk" him away from the back door).

Also, his fecals have changed. He's passed less than his normal amount in the last 48 hours, and they're a bit smaller. They're also a bit darker.

I'm concerned that this could be the start of something not-so-fun (e.g., Pasteurella). Thoughts?

Thank you,

Jenk

2-3x a day doesn't sound like too much. I know you keep a good track of their input/output, but it could just be a simple little stress and doesn't sound like a full URI yet. To test for a URI, they have to have something to culture--if there's no runny mucus or eye discharge, they don't have anything to culture and won't be able to do anything.

Jenk wrote:
I'm wondering if these symptoms necessitate a vet visit soon. I ask because if I don't call my vet's office by tomorrow to make an appt., I may not even be able to get my rabbit in to see her this week.

About four days ago, I heard him sneeze (maybe 2-3 times in one day). The next day, I thought that I heard a cough-like sound. Tonight, I heard that sound three times (once when I partially lifted him to "walk" him away from the back door).

I'm concerned that this could be the start of something not-so-fun (e.g., Pasteurella). Thoughts?

Thank you,

Jenk

Just to maybe give you some comfort, I know the sound you're talking about, the "cough" I think also choking sound thing, right? Snuff does that sometimes, not often, but is bothersome when you hear it. He also sneezes sometimes, when he's shedding. He's a healthy bunner though, so I hope that helps you relax a bit.:)

If you want more closure on the issue, I'd get a test done. If there's no colored discharge, as previously mentioned by the best, I wouldn't worry too much right now.

Keep us posted on his condition though!;)

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Just to maybe give you some comfort, I know the sound you're talking about, the "cough" I think also choking sound thing, right? Snuff does that sometimes, not often, but is bothersome when you hear it. He also sneezes sometimes, when he's shedding. He's a healthy bunner though, so I hope that helps you relax a bit.:)
I wouldn't say that it's a choking sound. I can't say for certain; I can't ask my big guy if he's actually coughing, or what. ;) But he's not made these sounds before. And several of the times that he's made them, he wasn't eating, grooming, sniffing the ground, etc. He was just meandering around.
If you want more closure on the issue, I'd get a test done. If there's no colored discharge, as previously mentioned by the best, I wouldn't worry too much right now.
Question about discharge that must be present for testing: Can normal-looking nasal discharge be tested? Or is a UTI not even suspected until discharge is heavy and/or discolored? I need to take another look under his snout to determine if anything's there; I've not seen anything before, though. (Yay?)

Trying to keep my worries under control; it's harder because, yesterday, one of our girls started her cyclical bout of unexplained pain. It's like a regular sneak attack to which I just can't seem to adjust.

I tried to add something to my last post not even 30 min. later; RO wouldn't let me. :(

The thing that worries me about his fecal production is the decreased quantity. Even my non-observant husband had to admit last night that our boy's fecal production is decreased in quantity and smaller in size than normal. :(

It's normal for our boy to have regular-sized fecals and a few smaller ones mixed in. But all of what he's produced in the past 48 hours are small enough to pass through his litter box grate. (Typically, most of them stay on top of it--or get stuck in it. ;))

I can't explain it. And, of course, I've dealt with enough gut slowdown/stasis issues to choke a horse; so I automatically get nervous when I notice such changes--especially with our boy because his digestive system runs fairly well.

Okay, I just did a nose a litter box inspection. Here's what I've found:

His nose is dry (yay), and his overnight fecal production is closer to normal (double-yay).

I'm sorry for the anxious questions at times, but it really helps me to have a "sounding board" when it comes to issues that provoke my anxiety. :hug2:

Update (sorry)...

Twice in the last few minutes, I heard him make what I would now describe as a choking sound (vs. a coughing/chuffing sound). Not to be gross, but it's similarto thegagging sound that a human might make before vomiting. And it was loud enough both times to make me go running to his room.

Yet when I got there to "catch" what exactly he's doing, he was just lying there looking at me. Figures.

This actually isn't the first day that he's made this loud of a weird sound; he did so several days ago. (Again, I couldn't catch what he was doing exactly.) But it was like a hacking/gagging sound.

I've never heard the gagging sound myself, so if my bunny made it, I would take him to the vet. However, since Angelnsnuffy has heard if before w/o issues, it's probably nothing, but it sounds too strange to ignore to me.

tonyshuman wrote:
I've never heard the gagging sound myself, so if my bunny made it, I would take him to the vet. However, since Angelnsnuffy has heard if before w/o issues, it's probably nothing, but it sounds too strange to ignore to me.

Yeah, but if I take him in and nothing can be found, it would be yet another wasted vet visit (i.e., a bill for absolutely nothing). DH and I have been through so much of that with our girls, whose digestive woes can't be revealed by tests, I'm convinced.

I'm on the fence on this issue. The hacking-like sounds (which occur intermittently, without warning and can't be observed by me) do concern me. But I just fear that no test can reveal anything definitive.

Well, the vet can rule out an obstruction in the airway by listening to his lungs, which is what I would worry about with a hacking sound.

tonyshuman wrote:
Well, the vet can rule out an obstruction in the airway by listening to his lungs, which is what I would worry about with a hacking sound.
Before even getting your reply, I broke down and scheduled a visit. :p The vet can see him at noon tomorrow.

Back