Cottontail bunny with injuries from dog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oz

Reaction score
Some friends of mine saved a little cottontail bunny from their dogs. The bunny is about the size of someones palm. It's eyes are open. The bunny has a wound on its side about the size of a quarter. The wound has stopped bleeding and there is no fur in the area of the wound. I believe the bunny is old enough not to need milk. What should we do for the wound? Is it best to just let the bunny go and hope for the best? or Try and treat the wound and hope not to stress and make things worse? Also what should we be feeding it? Any other suggestions would help as well. Thanks in advance!

I am in the fargo ND area and it is a wild bunny. I searched the site that you gave and there aren't any that i sawe in ND. The ones in MN are abit to far the closest would be burnsville which is 4 hours away. Thanks so much for helping me!

Oh OZ how horrible and wonderful that you found the little critter; I think you should take it to Vet for treatment that would sounds awfully large for the size you state the bunny is. Good luck and please update!

Hi Oz,

I am a licensed wildlife rehabber in NC and I specialize in cottontails. I have listing for wildlife rehabbers all over the country....but none in ND. That rabbit needs to be on medications not only for possible infection but for pain. Wild rabbits don't do well with pain. I would suggest calling the ND Wildlife Commission for advice. Or if you can find a vet willing to treat it, I will provide the vet with my phone number and I can walk him/her thru a PE and treatment. Dog injuries are mostly crush type injuries with internal issues. Wild rabbits are notoriously difficult to feed. Do not feed it milk. If you will PM me, in this case, I will attempt to help you with that since there is obviously no rehabber around you. It's now 6:40 EDT.....I have to run out for some animal issues but will be back by 9:00 EDT and will check for your PM.

Randy

Back