Corner or box litter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravishing

Reaction score
Issue
I'm having a real hard time litter training penny!

I placed the corner litter tray where she 1st pee'd in her new cage and while she uses it okay.. she doesn't use it every time! She tends to pee in the corner where there is no litter tray as well. Even worse is when she comes out of the cage she drops poopies like they're sprinkles all over my carpet =(

Background Info

- I've placed hay above and around her litter
- I've cleaned the corner where I don't want her to pee with white vinegar
- I place her back in her cage when she poops outside
- I put her poopies into her litter almost every single time she drops them
- She has a small designated play area in my room for the purpose of litter training
- I removed her cage liner so she wouldn't have anything absorbent to pee on..

She has NOT been spayed yet but I'm hoping she'll get learn to use her litter before I spay her because she's still to young for a spay!

Right now she has 2 litters inside the cage is a CORNER litter with a tray in it to keep her from making a mess or eating carefresh. Outside in her play area I had given her a shoe box to play with and as soon as she pee'd and pooped in it I took it as an opportunity to toss care fresh in it and call it a litter!

Questions

Based on everything I've mentioned above do you have any tips? Have I done something wrong?

Are corner or box litters better for 1st time learners? I really prefer to train her in a corner box because she has more room in her cage this way...

Any idea on where I can find a box litter with a tray in it to prevent her from getting at the carefresh? I live in Vancouver, BC (Canada) and have yet to find one at tisol or pet smart. Better yet does anyone know a good place to get bunny supplies in this city or any of our neighboring cities let me know :) I don't trust placing orders online =/

thanks in advance!

For my rabbit when she didn't pee in her litter box I would wipe it up and put the towel with her mess on it in the litter box along with any raisins she left. She got the message in a few days.

If you think she is getting ready to go take care of some business then get her in the litter box but don't be to pushy or else she might kick out all the litter.

You mentioned that you picked her up and put in litter box when pooping? Have you tried this with peeing too? I did both and she got the message pretty quick.

I also worked on litterbox training prior to the spay. She did use the litterbox most of the time but would still go in other places, sometime right next to the box and in front of the box. I found that after she was spayed she became more reliable about using her litterbox.

I first used a corner litter pan and she used it but outgrew it so fast that I had to find something else. I made her a litter box out of a plastic storage container. I cut the front to make a lower entry way. I place the lid to the storage container under the actual box so that if she decides to go in front of the box she goes on the lid and it also catches the litter she may kick out. She has an additional litter box that she uses when she can play in the rest of the house. I think she prefers her storage container but uses both.

After 27 rabbits, we've found that each is different and nothing to do with litter habits is 100%. We had one bunny that would only use her hutch, while other left their pellet suprises everywhere. Our main concern was that they use the boxes to urinate as the other is easy to clean up--can you say "shop vac".

I would try a non-corner box, even if it takes up more room. Those corner boxes just aren't big enough for rabbits and some will pee outside of them because they don't like the small space. You can get square ones that are about 14"x14" (I think) that are still small but have a lot more square inches.

I started off with a corner box for Peaches and because he like to lay in, and it was too small for him. I replaced it with a cat box with a grate on top and he lays on that, he has his hay tray in there and his food dish in there too and he still lays in it. Popcorn has a corner litter cuz his cage is smaller but he doesn't lay in his litter, he likes his half shelf but when he comes out of his cage I put a plastic container with a grate on top (cuz he's a lionhead and everything gets caught in his butt fur) but he doesn't lay in it. both of them caught on pretty fast but when they hit adolescence they,d pee where they felt like it - Peaches got neutered and he's been pretty good since then. Popcorn is a teen so he's peeing all over and I wipe it up and put the paper in the litter under the grate - I guess they,re all different and you have to be persistent.

its trial and error...try a different shaped litter box...a deeper litter box,,,a grate in the box...try dif litter,like tweetiepy said put the food dish above the poop box...all 9 of my buns have different setups...u get to know each bun and figure out what they like or dont like..it blows my mind to hear how people have numerous bunnies but they all have the SAME EXACT setups...they obviously dont get to know their bunnies personally. all of my buns living areas are different...they all have unique personalities..u just gotta pay attention..they have no problem expressing their disaproval for something..:)

oh yea and spay her as soon as shes old enough...thatll help tremendously...i dont even attempt to potty train them before their spay or neuter..its such a waste of time ...they will do good for a week ..then theyll poop everywhere...then theyll do good again..its too stressful ..just fix her.

Latest posts

Back