Copious Cardboard Consumption

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtipthebun

Reaction score
So, Ms. Tippy has always had toilet paper tubes and cardboard strewn around the room. She's never really given a fluff that they're there. Sometimes she'd go for the cardboard pieces, but she'd leave the toilet paper tubes alone.

In the past week, she has discovered them (whoa, flying leap...bunny on chair!) full force. She's going through a tube every two days. She's not bored, because I'm home a lot and she gets lots of love, and she has free run of the room.

Any idea why all of the sudden she thinks cardboard is THE GREATEST THING EVER??? How much can she safely have?

I don't think there's really any amount that'll hurt her as long as she's chewing it up into tiny pieces and is eating lots of hay. just be glad she discovered cardboard and not a piece of furniture or your baseboards or something!

Thumper has always chewed lots of cardboard although he's not so crazy about the tubes. So far he has had no issues from it and he's a little over a year old.

Who can ever really understand the mind of one of these crazy creatures? Ha!

She eats a ton of hay, and drinks a ton of water (and still eats all her breakfast and dinner...and begs for treats)....
I just wanted to be sure she wasn't eating too much of it. I'm really curious as to why all of the sudden she is interested in toilet paper tubes, though....the past year and a half, she hasn't cared at all.

shhh! don't complain! you're liable to lose a pair of shoes or a phone or remote you accidentally leave lying around!

I hope she still likes cardboard when she comes to stay with me - I have TONS of boxes and tubes and such, hehe

Ellie loves cardboard. She digs through the bottoms of boxes in minutes. She shreds them from the inside out and makes HUGE holes in them. She really only likes boxes though, she doesn't care much for the rolls. She'll throw them around and stuff but she doesn't shred them like the boxes.
The boxes that she shreds she eats sometimes. I don't think she has any issues with it. She also eats a lot phone book paper, as she's tearing it up she eats a lot of it! haha.

Maybe she got a hold of one of the rolls and decided that it didn't taste that bad and she had been wrong for the last year!

She eats a ton of hay, and drinks a ton of water (and still eats all her breakfast and dinner...and begs for treats)....
I just wanted to be sure she wasn't eating too much of it. I'm really curious as to why all of the sudden she is interested in toilet paper tubes, though....the past year and a half, she hasn't cared at all.

Have you switched brands? Maybe she likes the smell of a new kind?

Ooh, interesting theory. I think I may have been giving her rolls from angel soft, and then bought something different the last time. I guess we'll see if she goes back to the rolls in a day or two...I've only got one of the other type of rolls left and now I'm back to the original.

But she also is eating a paper towel tube. So...maybe not?

Maybe now that she is older and bigger she has an easier time biting it where before it was too difficult or uncomfortable in some way.

Our rabbit Alan is a master at engineering projects with boxes.

A couple of years ago we got two large lamps, the boxes themselves were about 6foot long. We put them both in his room, within days he had tunneled through the ends of both to make a double box tunnel, and then began eating the sides which were lieing on the floor. He hollowed both out, one is completley dead, the other is a long three sided triangle shape which I put something against to keep it a tunnel for him.

Basically he loves cardboard, although he doesn't seem to like toilet roll tubes.

Ooh, interesting theory. I think I may have been giving her rolls from angel soft, and then bought something different the last time. I guess we'll see if she goes back to the rolls in a day or two...I've only got one of the other type of rolls left and now I'm back to the original.

But she also is eating a paper towel tube. So...maybe not?

just stating the obvious here... it *IS* Q-tip... so it's probably just one big conspiracy to baffle you ;)

That's probably a true statement. She's not exactly the most consistent of bunnies with her habits. Oh well, I guess I should be happy that she's no longer grooming my yoga mat several hours a day!! At least that phase is over!

Back