Coop turned "hutch"

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reptileink

Reaction score
This was a coop I built over all last summer. I started putting up the hardware cloth 2 weekends ago when a friend brought it to my attention that our town no longer allows chickens :(

So we changed gears to rabbits. I need to do some interior work to make half a wire floor (for ease of waste removal). One whole side opens up, and there is a ramp from the side door. The entire enclosure will be secured with hardware cloth to keep out predators. It is really snug and waterproof inside with a big window (also hardware clothed) for ventilation and breeze.

We plan on three (female) rabbits. Think they will be happy here?
LL

Our bunnies use a cat litter box full of kiln dried pine shavings--they do poop here and there, but that is easy to clean up, but all the urine is in their litter box. Just make sure the mesh isn't too large and they they have someplace besides the wire or they might end up with sore hocks (feet).

My "catch pan" is 16" deep by 25" wide. So only a small portion of the hutch will be wire. I plan on building a dividing wall with opening for a cozy "home" section. As you can see from the picture, the big window will allow some nice breezes and it's under 3 trees with lots of shade. I added more cloth this weekend. It's coming together now. Just wish hardware cloth was cheaper..lol

I really recommend you put some wire (not hardware cloth) down through the ground. Some, not all, rabbits enjoy digging and could easily dig out of the outdoor enclosure. Other than that it looks great!

Back