Construction noise... What can I do... ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winggx

Reaction score
I live in an apartment, and I think the people who are living upstairs are planning to renovate their home. There were making so much construction noises..... Hammer, drill noise etc....
And those noises scared the heck out of my bunny =(
Luckily, they just started drilling today at around 4pm, and they stopped at 7pm...
In the 3 hours, I have to keep patting my bunny to calm her down...
But she was so afraid that she kept panting and her eyes were a bit red that looked like she wanted to cry...=(

Is there anything I can do...?

If you live in a condo, you can check the rules of the building. But 3 hours, ending at 7PM, probably are within the rules. So other than moving her to another room that's further away, I don't think you can do much about it. The main problem may have been the unexpectedness of it, so maybe if it happens again she won't be as upset. You'll get through this.

Or music or talk radio/TV.

Buns can be a bit odd in what sets them off. Some loud noises don't bother mine, but some things that I don't even hear do.

I agree that music helps. You can also give her some lavendar (as long as she is not pregnant) or chamomile. I have found this soothing to my kids in the past. Our neighbors totally redid their house with lots of construction noise. It freaked out my buns too but it did get easier over time.

I'd turn my television/radio up (that's what I did for my twins when they were babies...nothing woke them up! LOL). That way it'll help drown out the construction noise. After a while she should get used to the noise, though.

I had to deal with this a couple times. The first was my dad had to jack hammer some concrete in the basement for 2 days and the whole house was shaking. Gimpy was in the other end of the basement and was pretty freaked out. There wasn't much I could do as the sounds was so loud and could be heard and felt around the whole house. I just made sure I was close to this cage,and tried to comfort him the best I could. He was pretty scared and went off his litter box for almost a month afterwards. He also stopped using the top floor of his NIC cage since and that was 3 years ago!

This spring we refinished our hardwood floors so again, gimpy was subjected to 2 days of loud sanding noises coming from upstairs. This time it wasn't as bad and he wasn't as freaked out but he did stop using his litter box again for about a week.

Just try to comfort and reassure him. Hopefully it will only be for a little bit.

Back