Constipated? Vet now?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh okay. In the thread it says Canned pineapple juice is useless, as it has been cooked, and its enzymes denatured and inactivated. So the actual canned pineapple itself is good due the fibre etc?

Sorry-probably me being a little dense :whistling

So both canned pineapple and canned pumpkin are great to use to aid digestion and hydrate?

Jen

I'm pretty sure that the studies about pineapple and papaya enzymes are newer than 2007, which is what those pro-canned pineapple posts are from. So we've only known for a few years that heat inactivates these enzymes, and heating is involved in the canning process.

Pumpkin for sure has lots of wet fiber--that's it's main benefit. I could see how pineapple of any sort would have lots of wet fiber too, though...

Do not used canned pineapple....if you use pineapple, it has to be fresh from the fruit. Papaya also seems to help also. There is a lot of debate and some very questionable "studies" regarding the use of pineapple and/or papaya. There is no clinical evidence that it works...but I have used fresh pineapple often in stasis issues with excellent results. From a clinical standpoint, the proper response to a stasis situation is hydration. I would urge caution in adding juices to the water....many contain sugars and that is counterproductive.

Randy

I would try not to use pineapple if its just a gut slowdown. It can be used if a rabbit has stopped eating completely, though.

Here's a pending Library entry that explains the reason for sugary stuff like pineapple. It should only be given under certain circumstances.

FORCE FEEDING

Great care should be taken when force feeding ill rabbits for several reasons.

If a blockage is located in the stomach or at the pylorus, a narrow passage between stomach and the intestine, adding food only increases the pressure in the stomach and may increase the risk of rupture at the pylorus. (Gut motility drugs should also never be given to rabbits with a possible blockage for the same reason).

Sick rabbits also often have low body temperatures which makes muscles stiff and it difficult for the rabbit to swallow properly increasing the possibility of choking. This also causes organs related to digestion do not respond properly, affecting digestion of the food.

If a rabbit has not eaten in 24 to 48 hours and feels cold, try to warm it up with a hot water bottle, a rice sock, then slowly try nourishment.

Rabbits Online recommends a small amount of Nutri-Cal, a high calorie, vitamin-rich paste in a tube available from pet stores and vets. Alternatively, you can slowly give it some luke-warm water with a bit of diluted honey or sugar. The calories will provide energy to the rabbit and allow its organs to start working properly, avoiding fatal hepatic lipidosis, or 'fatty liver disease', which can occur as little as 48 hours after the rabbit stops eating. More at risk for this disease are obese (overweight) rabbits or rabbits with high energy demands like pregnant does or nursing mothers.

Sugar should be avoided with rabbits suffering from a bacterial imbalance in the GI tract. ('Poopy butt' or what appears to be diarrhea is symptom). If this is the case, a rabbit should be receiving rehydration in the form of Pedialyte (a children's electrolyte replacement drink) or another non-sugar source, and a product like Critical Care (a high fiber powder made into ‘mush). Canned pumpkin is another good source low sugar carbohydrates and high fiber.

:construction

ra7751 wrote:
Do not used canned pineapple....if you use pineapple, it has to be fresh from the fruit. Papaya also seems to help also. There is a lot of debate and some very questionable "studies" regarding the use of pineapple and/or papaya. There is no clinical evidence that it works...but I have used fresh pineapple often in stasis issues with excellent results. From a clinical standpoint, the proper response to a stasis situation is hydration. I would urge caution in adding juices to the water....many contain sugars and that is counterproductive.

Randy
:yeahthat:

Oh, and one of the reasons that the above Library post is still 'under construction' is that we're also working on one that defines 'sugars' because they're not all the same.

sas :expressionless

Sorry Pipp :( didn't mean to question u guys. I honestly was just confused. I've never been in that kind of situation before, and want to be totally prepared if it happens to me, with the right info. And don't want to pass on 'wrong' info to someone in that situation.

:(

Jen

Hi, all. I have been giving him hay and water and Pedialyte, and I took away the seeded food entirely. The store didn't have plain canned pumpkin--a lot of the pumpkin crop here got killed off last year.

I'm happy to say that Hiphop had a normal bowel movement and is right now hopping all over my daughter's room. Is it possible for them to make such a quick recovery? I think I will still take him to the vet tomorrow--he is due for a checkup anyway--but I'm very happy that he seems to be doing better. Thank you all for your help.

jcottonl02 wrote:
Sorry Pipp :( didn't mean to question u guys. I honestly was just confused

Yikes, please question everything! That's the only way to get everybody understanding it, even me!

Its all VERY confusing with seemingly (or truly) contradictory info. We need to discuss the 'gray' areas as much as possible!

sas :)

dheditor wrote:
Hi, all. I have been giving him hay and water and Pedialyte, and I took away the seeded food entirely. The store didn't have plain canned pumpkin--a lot of the pumpkin crop here got killed off last year.

I'm happy to say that Hiphop had a normal bowel movement and is right now hopping all over my daughter's room. Is it possible for them to make such a quick recovery? I think I will still take him to the vet tomorrow--he is due for a checkup anyway--but I'm very happy that he seems to be doing better. Thank you all for your help.

It sounds like Hiphop was at the end of Stiats so yes it sounds like he's pulled through and made a good recovery. You can still see the vet but I don't see a need for it if he continues to poop normally

Pipp wrote:
jcottonl02 wrote:
Sorry Pipp :( didn't mean to question u guys. I honestly was just confused

Yikes, please question everything! That's the only way to get everybody understanding it, even me!

Its all VERY confusing with seemingly (or truly) contradictory info. We need to discuss the 'gray' areas as much as possible!

sas :)
Thanks Pipp :) :p

I think with the library update and revamp it will clear up most confusion on outdated things etc. :)

Jen

Sorry for causing problems guys, I confused pumpkin for pineapple. Anyway, that's why I wanted someone's input on it :embarrassed:Hope your bunneh feels better soon.

Nela wrote:
Sorry for causing problems guys, I confused pumpkin for pineapple. Anyway, that's why I wanted someone's input on it :embarrassed:Hope your bunneh feels better soon.

Lol no problems at all :). This way it all got sorted, and I think we're all less confused (except Pipp who was never confused in the first place lol).

Jen

Hi, all. I took HipHop to the vet today for observation and an exam. She said he appears to be slightly dehydrated, and he has some tooth spurs that I should get treated. I guess that those things are contributing to his gut slowing down, so she gave me some probiotics and instructions to syringe feed him water. I'll make an appointment soon to get his dental work done.

Thank you all again for your help!

Best,
Deanna

That is a reasonable explanation for sure. If syringing him water doesn't do enough, you can always ask the vet to do sub-cutaneous fluids (sub-Q's) to get him re-hydrated.

Back