Constant teeth grinding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisp

Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking for some advice, My rabbit, Alan, seems to be constantly grinding his teeth today.

It's similar to the grinding he does when I'm stroking him but he keeps doing it when I'm not stroking him. It's not as loud as it was last year when he was in GI stasis and in obvious pain and he is very active and happy and still eating...

He is in a very heavy molt just now and we have been monitoring him closely as this was what caused the blockage last year when he got sick. He is still eating and pooing (some of the poos are a bit stringy but at least it's moving)

Should I be worried?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I think it depends on if you think he is doing it because he is in pain or not. Sometimes my rabbits will do a little teeth chattering even when I'm not petting them. I just think it's cause they are happy about something. Try and figure out if he seems perfectly normal besides that, or if something else in his behavior is off. Is his poop normal size and in normal amounts, is he eating the same amount and all his usual foods and drinking normally, is he acting any differently like being more subdued, eye squinting, sitting hunched up, changing positions immediately and frequently, belly pressing with the butt pushed up, straining to pee? If something seems off, it might be a good idea to get him checked over.

If his ABU (appetite, bowel, urination) is ok, i think he is OK. If his food intake is lesser than normal, poop size are smaller and little amount than normal, or hiding at one corner, then u should take him to the vet.

You will know best what is normal and what is not normal for him. I have not personally heard painful tooth grinding, but whenever my bunnies have been sick, I have had a "feeling" that something was "off", whether it was playing with a toy they usually ignore, being less active, sneezing more, etc. If you have concerns and your bunny isn't stressed out by going to the vet, it can't hurt. Often, the peace of mind you get from taking the bunny in and finding nothing is wrong is worth the exam fee. If you do find something is wrong, the exam fee is worth it as well.

Latest posts

Back