Considering having rabbit neutered...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeGrahamT21

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Our rabbit (Alex, male) has just recently started humping which is rather unpleasant albeit natural and that got us thinking about how we could stop him from doing it.

We bought a book on rabbits when we first got him, and that has a section about neutering which was quite an interesting read, saying that rabbits which have had it done are less prone to some diseases and tend to live longer and it got us thinking about whether it may be worth having him done?

What are other peoples experiences? We are considering taking him to the RSPCA (as we don't fully trust our vet) to have this proceedure done to get the proper expertise.

Any thoughts would be brill :)

Thanks

Mike

I think it would be great to have him neutered, and the RSPCA would be a great place to have it done. I do have to say that I volunteer with the Humane Society here, which is a lot like the SPCA; their credo is that all animals kept as pets should be spayed or neutered.

With that disclaimer, here's why I think neutering is a good idea. It reduces hormonal behaviors, like humping, spraying urine, and some annoying mating rituals they can do with your feet (circling, grunting, etc). It makes litter box training a lot easier, and neutered bunnies have less smelly urine and scent glands. They also can't get testicular cancer anymore, which isn't as big a concern as uterine cancer is in females, but it does happen occasionally. Finally, if he ever escaped or you had to rehome him for any reason, he wouldn't be contributing to the pet overpopulation problem.

Some potentially negative things about neutering are that some owners think their male bunnies aren't as enamored with them after they're neutered. I can't say I agree, as my neutered male only stopped thinking I was his girlfriend (he still did happy dances around my feet) after I adopted a female bunny to be his companion. Of course, any surgery has risks, although neutering is one of the simplest surgeries there is. There are the potential for problems with anesthesia, nicked blood vessels leading to massive bleeding, and infection of the site. These things are quite rare though.

A RSPCA vet would be a great choice because they probably have a lot of experience doing neuters. I see tons of bunnies at the shelter that have been neutered, and have had one of my own neutered (Tony came to me already neutered, Ben did not), and they recover very quickly and usually without complications. I rarely see neuter complications come up on this board either.

You may also be able to get a discounted rate from the RSPCA--our shelter does rabbit neuters for $65!

So, I think it's the best thing to do for any bunny you don't plan on breeding or showing. It's a relatively simple procedure for an experienced vet.

It is absolutely worth it to have him neutered. He will be happier and healthier and you will be happier with him.

Most people would have a dog or cat neutered without thinking twice - just think of bunnies the same way.

Definitely have it done! My guy changed so much after his neuter I think I fell in love with him all over again. (he is much more friendlier now).

Definitely have your male rabbit neutered! He will hump less, he won't spray, his aggression will decrease, he will be the sweetest rabbit you will have.

I had Prince neutered almost a year ago and he is happier and he doesn't spray anymore. He still humps but not as much as he used to before he was neutered. Now he trusts me more than before, it only took a year for him to trust me. He ate from my hand tonight! Made me soooo happy!

So yes, get him neutered!

He's already extremely cute and cuddly :)

Thank you very much for your input, has made my decision much easier. Once he has malted for the summer I think we will get him booked in at the RSPCA (that way he won't get too hot inside, as he lives outdoors)

Hi again,

Alex is booked in at the vets for a neuter, he is going in at 11am tomorrow morning. Little anxious for him, but I'm sure he'll be fine

Make sure he gets at least three days of pain medication to take home! They will give a shot of pain medication, and some vets will try to convince you that this is enough, but rabbits metabolize very quickly and this shot wears off much faster in a rabbit than a cat/dog.

-Dawn

^^^Very good point! My vet and I had words (and subsequent action) over the lack of pain meds. They really are a vital part of a speedy recovery!

Best of luck to Alex and yourselves:) Any chance of getting pictures of the soon-to-be "incomplete" little guy? :D

My mini rex mix is getting neutered tomorrow as well. My french lop is already neutered and he did great. You boy will fine...like everyone suggested make sure to get pain meds.

Well, just taken him, got to ring them come 3pm.

Asked about painkillers but sounds like they won't prescribe them, receptionist was going to ask the vet, and I will ask again when I go to collect him

I'd insist. :grumpy:

Or ask the Vets how they'd like to have their 'man bits' cut into with only a day's worth of painkillers.

sas
5ugh.gif

Let me rephrase that...

Ask the Vets how they'd like to have their 'girl bits' (woman bits?) cut into with only a day's worth of painkillers.

(Does that have the same impact?) ;)

sas :bunnydance:

Back