Considering going back to school

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetPeasMommie

Reaction score
For so long all my life and even now I want todo things with animals that it makes me cry. I am sure you know what Imean by that. Like you see something so bad and want it, it makes youcry until you do it or get it.

Well I did go to a community college in Pittsburgh, I took basiccourses and was supposed to take a science course. They screwed me overand I dropped out.

Now I want to go back but also try to do so good so I can go to schoolto become a vet tech. I am going to be looking up programs fordisabilities so I can get into school around my area. I am not sure ifWv has a vet tech program where transportaton is not far for me.

Please encourage me to keep going until I get what I want. It was mydream to become a vet tech or a veternarian to own my own office. Ijust have so much passion for animals that I want to help them.

Thanks for letting me ramble on.

Angel

I say do what you want to do. I have a animalcare diploma and a child psychology diploma. My dream is also to workwith animals but there are nojobs involvinganimalswhere i live..... thats why i did the child psychologycourse so that i have two options. If an animal care job came up iwould quit whatever job i may be in to work with animals.

Do what you feel you want to do. You are your own person. Let me knowhow things go... either put up a post or send me a private messageanytime. Good Luck!

:hug:

Thank you for incouragement, my hubby evensupports me in this as well. see I can not have any other pets but thedog we have. I have owned 6 guinea pigs and had to rehome them, eversince I rehomed them and lost 3 last year I want to help.

I looked in to vet tech programs here in laCrosse but there isn't any..the closest one is 77 miles from here. ThenI looked at the on-line programs. Penn -Foster has anon-lineprogram for vet assistants. I am sort of suspicious of a program thatwould not have a person actually do the procedures. In La Crosse thevets train their own vet assistants which is another way to learn .
If you can't find a program for vet techs near you it would be possibleto get a job as a vet assisant and/or take an on-line course.I think that it would be great.
I would like to have the knowledge even if I didn't work for a vet.

angieluv wrote:
I looked in to vet tech programs here in la Crosse but thereisn't any..the closest one is 77 miles from here. Then I looked at theon-line programs. Penn -Foster has anon-line program for vetassistants. I am sort of suspicious of a program that would not have aperson actually do the procedures. In La Crosse the vets train theirown vet assistants which is another way to learn .
If you can't find a program for vet techs near you it would be possibleto get a job as a vet assisant and/or take an on-line course.I think that it would be great.
I would like to have the knowledge even if I didn't work for a vet.

For some reason quotes are being weird to me.

wow, I have heard of alot of online programs and that may help me a bitas well. I thought about working at the office to help but I thoughtyou have to have some vet tech education to be part of the office. Iwill call and see if they could use help on cleaning the cages, therooms etc until i get something. I know that there is a very goodMedian School In pittsburgh which is about an hour from me where I amnow. One of the best my mom graduated there as a medical assistance andmy friend graduated there as a vet tech too.

If you're that close to Pittsburgh I'm surethere are vet tech programs there. I think a vet tech is a step up froma vet assitant in term of knowledge but either of them would allow youto work with animals. I have a vet assistant friend here who love herjob. Go for it!

Ok I have been searching finding schools nearme. I found 2 in Wv, one is West Virginia University and I ain't got nomoney for them, the other one is Marshall U.

I know that Pgh Vet Tech Schools are very good and it is an hour drive so if they help me there I will take up their offer.

lol, well the one is too far, it is about 4.5 hrs from me and I am not staying on campus unless it is free education. lol

but WVU is way to expensive and I know that I will get stuck paying alot as well even with help.

So back to looking in Ohio or Pa.

I forgot that PSU has sister campuses that I could go to. PSU is mydream school and I have always wanted to go to Penn State, It would beawesome if I get financal aid in this to go to PSU.

Ok, a lady called me today from a career office. She has found an online vet tech program as well.

They are much cheaper than going to the actual school. The name of theonline school is Penn Foster in Scranton Pa.http://www.pennfoster.edu/vetassistant/index.html

If I take the online classes I will save a ton of money. Online coursesis like 800 dollars. Going to the Vet Tech in Pgh is 25 grand.

I think starting out online may be helpful to me with my hearing and I can take my time learning everything.

But I need to find out if I will learn exotics from guinea pigs torats. I want to learn more of the exotics since there arn't to many outthere that know very well of them.

Itake online courses when I can because my campus is an hour drive and gets expensive with a truck.

The best advice I can give with online classes is to take one or two atfirst to get the hang of the idea. If you jump right into a full loadyou'll be over your head in stress. Also, you should have high speedinternet when doing online classes due to online tests. Don'tprocrastinate and get things done ahead of time because you are dealingwith "modern technology". I make a binder for each quarterand print out all articles required for reading and the syllabus. Butfor the most part, I enjoy online courses. This upcoming quarterI'llbe taking a class on campusthatI justdiscovered they openedan additional online course. Along withthatcourse I'll be taking 3 normal onlinecourses inaddtion to a DVD course. So I'll have it all covered this time around.

I wish you the best luck finding a school to attend! I'll be curious tofind outhow the vet assistant does their online coursesmainly because a good portion shouldbe practicals.

Amanda

The schools are an hour drive. It is not badwhen my hubby drops me off at the public transportation spot where Ican catch a bus to town and back to meet him. But it is still going totake me an hour or so to get there. If the classes start very early itwill be a killer since I live in Weirton Wv and the school is inDowntown Pgh.

Oh don't worry about the high speed. We got it and we love it.

Thank you for the input.

They got everything that i need for this course.

Not that this will help but there are actuallymany clinics that are owned and managed by Vet Techs. There are otheroptions to becoming a vet tech rather than going to school full time.There are some schools that offer an online course and then while doingthe online course you work at a Vet clinic to get the hands onexperience. I'm currently attending a vet Tech program and while I feelthat a full time program is thebest way to learnitis definatly not the only way. You could also apply at a clinic andwork your way up, i.e. start as a receptionist or a veterinarianassistant and over time become a non-certified tech. Legally you can'tdo the same stuff but it would allow you to providecare toanimals.

If you want to attend a Vet Tech program I have classmates that havedriven as far as 2 hours for class. My Program really stresses that youmake the program your life in order for you to really succeed, theyeven recommend only working less than 20 hours a week if you can. Manyof my classmates are over 25 and many are married and have kids. Manysay in order to succeed you need a supportive husband who isn't afraidto cook and clean everyday, and kids that can give you an hour of "nomommy" time so you can study quietly. As long as you can make somesacrifices and want it bad enough, you can do it! Also most vet techprograms are at Technical colleges and I have found that technicalcolleges are way more adult learning savvy than 4 year colleges are.They are more willing to work with full time working adults that wantto go back to school.

That is the answer I was looking for. I wasgoing to call a few vets around here to see if I could start out as anassiant and work my way up. Well I have no children of my own and cannot have any so that wont be a problem between us. He cooks and caresfor me when needed.

Thank you so much, I would rather work in a stressful vet office thandealing with pet stores. I dont think I can handle watching pets die atpet stores not getting the love, attention and the corect care.

thank you thank you thank you.lol:bunnydance::bunnydance:

Angel, Follow yourheart and use your head, and you will accomplish whatever goals you setfor yourself. As has been pointed out to you, there are many ways towork with animals that would be very rewarding and don't require adegree. You will find what it is that makes you happy, you've taken thefirst steps.

You are young, you have your whole lifeto accomplish ALL of your dreams. Don't hurry through it.

I'm 43 and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up!!!! :brat:

Raspberry

The Penn-Foster advertises as a vettech school- online but actually is vet assistant (I lookedinto this too). There is nothing wrong with that if you could take somecourses and work with a vet in your area.,

Latest posts

Back