Conjunctivitis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p1rat3

Reaction score
Hello all. A friend of ours down our close (cull-de-sac) has a rabbit that has milky white stuff by both eyes. She said it just started today, but did not know what it was. Another lady that lives in the close said that it might be Conjunctivitis and that her rabbit had it and now he gets it all the time. I looked it up on the 'Net and found that if it is Conjuntivitis (pink-eye) that you can get rid of the symptoms with treatment, but to get rid of it all together is another matter (something about cleaning the tear ducts).

Questions:
- Should she worry? Should she rush to the Vets, or is it unlikely to be caused by something else? (I read it can becaused by other stuff)
- Could my rabbits catch it (easily)?
- Can poeple catch it from rabbits? If it is the same bacteria, it seems likely, right?

I think that is it for now. I have attached a picture, but his fur is white so it is hard to see the stuff, but it came off milky white on my finger.

Jay

Image%28827%29-s.jpg

Full size:
http://www.goodwin-house.co.uk/rabbits/Image(827).jpg

Pernod had conjuctivitus last year and we had toget ointment from the vet. It was quite easy to use and worked veryquickly. Perry didn't catch it from her, but I wouldn't like to riskantother bunny getting it, and I am not sure about humans. I wouldrecommend your friend takes her rabbit to the vet so it can be curedquickly, and her bunny can be more comfortable.

Jan

Because of the number of factors that can cause irritation to the eye and due to possible risk of the rabbits sight, itis best that a veterinarian examine the eyes to determine the cause ofthe problem and to commence with proper treatment.

Pam

Thanks for your answers.

I had already advised she take him (Casper) to the Vet when I startedthe Topic. Ijust wanted to be sure that this was probably notlife-threatening. It is obviuosly not comfortable for himthough. So, If I do not hear they have taken him to the Vet,I will advise again a little more firmly.

Jay

I just wanted to update everyone.First of all I have no idea if they have taken him to the vetyet. I am sure I would have heard.

The point of the update was to tell you that I handled him again thenext day and his claws were more like Talons! The longestmust have been about 25mm (about an inch). I imediatelyoffered to cut his nails. As soon as I turned him over to cuthis nails I saw a huge (about 1.5 inches across) ball of what lookedlike either food or poo and hair. After I was done with hisnails, I removed the clump.

She was telling me a few days before that they would take him out ofhis cage and he would just sit in the middle of the yard forhours. Now wonder with claws that long! he has beenmuch more active since the nail trim.

Now I just have to convince them to take him to the vet for his eyes and change food. He is being fed on the mixed food.

Jay

Oh Jay, thank goodness you were around for poorCasper. He must have been so uncomfortable, not to mention the risk offly strike. I hope they do take him to the vet about his eyes. Poorlittle fella - he must be so glad to have you watching out for him. Notto be mean (because they are your friends) but they don't sound likethey keep a very good check on him healthwise :(

Jan

LuvaBun, You are not being mean. It is true. I just hope I can make a difference. I think I have made a dent anyway.

<begin confession> The first Rabbit (Mr Brown) I had asan adult I did not take care of very well at all. I did not have a rabbit for 2 years after that, and when I was going to get a rabbit I read and Read about how to take care of and train rabbits. I have learnt so much since then and my two new bunnies are spoiled and I can't bear to see another bunny suffer. I am a rabbit guardian angel, but I probably do it because I am paying for my guilt. <end confesson>

Jay

Jay, sounds to me after reading your confession as you put it, that youhave taken what was a not so great situation with your first bun andhave turned it into a positive one, at least you had the care andthought to learn abdout buns this time around before you got one.

That's good stuff in my book!!

Yes sounds like conjuntivitus, Millie had that a few months ago, I gave her eye drops for a few days and she was fine. Millie hasn't got conjuntavitus again after that so i'm not sure about the tear duct thing. It can be caused by something getting in the eye(this is what happened to Millie). Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back