Congrats Magic!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueCamasRabbitry

Reaction score
Well, as some of you know my buck, Magic is in rabbit hopping. (For those who dont, now you do!!) Anyways, he's now jumping up to 12 inches. He's getting VERY good and i'm so happy for him! He also doesn't go under the jumps anymore, he now goes over them. I have two simple commands for him, one his for the small jumps that he can't fit under and that's: Magic, Jump! Firm and gentle at the same time. And when I don't want him to go under a jump, I have to reposition him in front of it and say "Over It!" He knows both of these commands very well. I am so happy! So, do you have updates on your bunnies' rabbit hopping skills?

Also, check this out: www.bsarabbits.livejournal.com theres some info on that there too, but that's my rabbits livejournal. I also have:

www.freewebs.com/blueskyacresrabbitry/ which is my rabbitry link!

Babii couldent jump if her life depended on it lol. Shes a bit to big to be jumping LOL. I am just still trying to get her to go up the steps with me having to push her bum up. And good luck with your bun, is he/she in a jumping contest?

Yes, Brandy. I'm training him for my county fair in August. They having a hopping competition and I want him to be trained very well. I'm going to be so nervous though...yikes! He doesn't even get shy in public jumping. At youth fair he went over a few jumps and usually if he's in a spot where he's uncomfortable (he is uncomfortable in my house but not at the fair!? What's up with that! lol) then he will just sit there. He only whent over the smallest ones that time because he didn't know how to go over the larger jumps.

Those contests, you have like 2 or 3 minutes to go over the most jumps. The highest record at youth fair was like 27 jumps in 3 minutes. Well I timed magic and he did 45 jumps exactly in three minutes. He's great! lol.

Rabbit hopping looks like a lot of fun. I asked my 4-H rabbit leader if we could do thatnext year, and I am planning on training some of my rabbits to do it soon.

good for you and Majic, i gues some rabbits are best at one thing and not at another, Babii is very easy to train to do stuff. We have a bedtime routine and im woking of a walking skedual (sp). But good luck.

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
What breeds do you want to train to do it?
I have New Zealands and two Dutch. I am going to try training a few different rabbits and see which ones do good at it.

Thanks for the links. I really like your website. And your rabbit's livejournal was funny!

When I start making the rabbits jump, how long each day should I work them? I don't want to make them too tired, but I don't want to make it so short that they won't learn anything.

Im4Swine: Thanks. Well New Zealand aren't very good jumpers, Dutch are the best because of their willing temperment though.

When first training, only about ten minutes each day otherwise they could injure themselves and all. Take it slowly. What I did was I started with 10 minutes to 20 to 30 and so on until now I'm at an hour and a half of training almost every day. He gets to rest somedays, and he'll get a 5 day break this coming week (i'm going camping, yay!) So yeah.

Big congrats! I was watching rabbit jumping compition video on youtube last night, it so cool. Congrats again and good luck on future compitions.

Thanks Buck!

Yesterday afternoon Magic had a huge training session. I usually put him on his harness and have him go over the jumping course for a few rounds, then I take off his harness and let him go over them all by himself. It's super cute, because he actually makes the bend in the course. He doesn't get off track and just keeps going! lol. He was actually jumps 11 inches high yesterday over a really awesome set of crossbars that i built. it can easily be raised a few inches higher just by me putting two more bricks to raise it up. I will take pics of it today as my camera kept dying last night.

BSAR

Today Magic jumped 17 inches! It was awesome because it was his first time and he did it! I am so happy of him! This news is going to be in the august issue of The Bunnicle. Which is my newsletter for my rabbitry (well and my sis's).

Emily & Magic!

Woot! Go Magic! :D It won't be long before he passes Ollie, who won't jump any higher than 53cm (20.9 inches). :? Ah well, he'll get around to it eventually. :D

Rachel.

Latest posts

Back