Confused with results from abcess culture

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrslimpitt

Reaction score
Ok so Rocky is doing great eating and taking his antibiotics after his abcesswas drained and flushed 12 days ago. He is still on Baytril. The vet called yesterday and said that the culture can back saying there was no anerobic bacteria. Well I will tell you when he took the needle and drew some fluid out it reeked of bacteria. Has anyone else had this type of results. Oh and the stupid thing is coming back :pssd:

In my past experiences with abscesses, I found that the cultures can sometimes be a hit or miss process for the vets. Oxygen can harm or even kill the organisms, resulting in a negative culture.

Taking a biopsy or aspirating the abscess presents the possibility of spreading the issue to the surrounding tissues.

Our vet prefers to surgically remove all abscesses. If they can keep them encapsulated, it helps avoid spreading or reforming.
After removal, he usually sends it to the lab.

Thank you JimD
He is going Tuesday morning for his followup. He did mention about him having it removed by surgery but he wanted to try draining it first. I guess he will be having surgery.

Just because there was no "Anerobic" bacteria doesn't mean there wasn't other kinds of bacteria. Test are great, but theres billions of trillions of millions of kinds of bacteria out there, we cant possibly test for every single one. What about anerobics complete opposite, aerobic?
What is the state of the abscess now?

Rocky had his follow up and the vet recommends that he removes the whole mass. He will be calling me tomorrow to set up the surgery. He will be doing a biopsy this time. Chaching another $350.00. Don't get me wrong I love my bunnies to death but my hubby is freaking out:expressionless

Latest posts

Back