Confused by Care of Bunnies by New Owners

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheetos mom

Reaction score
I am a brand new bunny mom. I am not trying to be boastful, this is an honest to goodness question....

I have read in a number of boards and posts that rabbits can bedifficult as pets. I have also read that many people part with theirbunnies because of behavioral problems. What are they talking about?

What are most buns like when they first become pets? Why do people think they're difficult?

I couldn't have asked for a better animal than my little guy. Hereminds me of a combination of my all my favorite cats and dogs,without the shedding, potty problems and damaging of furniture. I thinkhe's easier than any other pet I've ever had and just as loveable. Cansomeone explain why are they considered difficult?

I keep thinking maybe I am doing something really wrong since I'm notunderstanding .... (Its like someone being dog stupid and saying thatthey're easy, but not realizing that they need to be walked!) Does thismake sense?

I think the problems come in when people feedthem incorrectly. Their digestive systems are senstive and alot of people get rabbits as a child's pet and then don't bother tolearn about this. Also, when a rabbit gets sick it can behard to nurse it back to health.

I agree that for the most part they areeasy..but as Naturestee stated...they can be VERY difficult...Corky wasrecently very sick and I literaly had to nurse him back to health viasyringe feedings every 2-3 hours for several days....had to prepare ayucky goop food for him...give him meds...but in the end it was allworth it as he's doing well.

So yes, if healthy....I agree they are easy..til someone gets sick!!

Rabbitsare different and many gothroughvery difficult behavioral problems, especially whenthey reach sexual maturity. At times, they can bedestructive, noisy and downright nasty. :mad:

Count your blessings that you've ended up with one of those few "perfect" rabbits. :angel:

Pam

I dont think they are any more difficult thanany other pet,probably those people didnt do enough research beforethey bought a rabbit and didnt realize they chew on things or spray orthe most common myth that all rabbits get along great.I havehorses,rabbits,cats,dogs,we used to have birds.I commonly get peoplewanting to buy two rabbits thinking they can stay in the samecage.sometimes they get along sometimes they dont.bluebird

Thank you for explaining this to me, especiallythe digestive problems! Admittedly, I've been feeding Don Cheeto whatI'm supposed to only because of what I've read, not because Iunderstood the importance.

In my ignorance, I thought you all were all just catering to spoiledbuns, but followed suit because his diet and care wasn't too much of aninconvenience.

Darn, I love this board! I am also very greatful; my ignorance verywell might have injured a really great animal!! Thank you all.

As everyone has pointed out,therethings such as unpredictable behaviors, puberty, theirdigestive systems, that can make them difficult. I'd also addthat how sensitive they are to where their cages are kept - not indrafts, or the sun, not in a damp area, someplace where they can seesome action, always has to remain dry and clean. Also,because they stress so easily and stress can knock down their immunesystem, you have to be aware of the stressors in your rabbit'slife.

The other thing that comes to mind is that they are masters ofdisguise. By the time a symptom of an illness or problemshows up, often times whatever the problem is is advanced.Being the bottom of the food chain, they must hide their illnesses andweaknesses. It makes it difficult to catch something earlyon. Not only that, I wish there was more information outthere about rabbit care. It can be hard to find a rabbitsavvy vet, they are extremely sensitive to medications, anesthesia,etc. There's still a lot that has to be learned about theircare and medical treatments.

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
Theother thing that comes to mind is that they are masters ofdisguise. By the time a symptom of an illness or problemshows up, often times whatever the problem is is advanced.Being the bottom of the food chain, they must hide their illnesses andweaknesses. It makes it difficult to catch something earlyon. Not only that, I wish there was more information outthere about rabbit care. It can be hard to find a rabbitsavvy vet, they are extremely sensitive to medications, anesthesia,etc. There's still a lot that has to be learned about theircare and medical treatments.

-Carolyn
Amen to all of that!!! :shock::(:shock:

"... they are masters of disguise. By thetime a symptom of an illness or problem shows up, often times whateverthe problem is is advanced."

That makes total sense!

Generally, what things might lead to stress? Aside from a loss ofappetite and a change in everyday behavior, what are other possibleindicators?

I have learned soooo much here:
1) My bun was underweight when I he showed up (He was REALLY spiney.)
2) The "pet me" pose is not a sign of fear.
3) The crap you find in pet stores for food, really is just that "crap".
4}My favorite - what "Binky's" are
5) Excessive amounts of fructose are not healthy

You all really need to be proud of this forum (and I'm sure you are!)There are so many wonderful people and so much informative information.

Sometime soon, I'm going to have to post Don Cheetos pics, so maybesomeone can help me get an idea about general age, and type of mix mylittle stinker is!

Cheetos mom wrote:
"... they are masters of disguise. By the time asymptom of an illness or problem shows up, often times whatever theproblem is is advanced."

That makes total sense!

Generally, what things might lead to stress? Aside from a loss ofappetite and a change in everyday behavior, what are other possibleindicators?
Watch for change in poops. This can be a big indicator ofproblems. Lack of poops indicates g.i. stasis.Poops strung together by any material can be a blockage.Runny poops can cause big problems too as they can become dehydratedreally quickly.

Listen for grinding of teeth. There is a good grinding, likepurring, which they do when happy and a bad grinding, loud, which meanspain.

Also any discharge from the eyes or nose typically means some kind ofupper respiratory problem. This could be as simple as a coldor as difficult as pasturella.

Jen

...They do shed, and sometimes are destructive,my wood trim is beingchewed up by these guys... you shouldget him neutered though.. Spraying, eek. and yeah, health is what isdifficult, quality pellets, timothy hay, and good vegetables is goodfor him.

Cheetos mom wrote:
I couldn't have asked for a better animal than my little guy. Hereminds me of a combination of my all my favorite cats and dogs,without the shedding, potty problems and damaging of furniture. I thinkhe's easier than any other pet I've ever had and just as loveable. Cansomeone explain why are they considered difficult?

:mad:I got sprayed in the face today by my young male "teen".:mad:He thinks it's SO funny. "spray Rose" is the best game in hislittle mind.

Yesterday he decided my jacket was an evil invader that must be destroyed. With me in it.

Recently he discovered that since I will always catch him, he can leap into my arms at random. He weighs 10 lbs.

Yelling has no effect. He thinks it's entertaining when mum flips out at something he does.

His cage is the "earthquake zone". He likes to run madly in circles,crashing and thumping. thump thump thump CRASH thump thump thump CRASHthump thump etc.

Does that answer your question? :p

You are lucky to have an :angel:. I have a :mad:.

hehe

Rose

Carolyn wrote:
Notonly that, I wish there was more information out there about rabbitcare. It can be hard to find a rabbit savvy vet, they areextremely sensitive to medications, anesthesia, etc. There'sstill a lot that has to be learned about their care and medicaltreatments.

-Carolyn

I completely agree with that statement. Where I live just getting otherbreeders and owners to share their knowledge and experience has beenimpossible. That's how I came to find this group.(by lots of searching)

I agree, Cheetos Mom! I think manypeople think rabbits are 'cage' animals. But they are morelike a dog. They need time to exercise. They need agood diet. They need love and kisses. They needfresh air and some sun. Many people don't know these thingswhen they hand over those adorable baby bunnies every, say,Easter. When I was doing my research before getting buns, Iwas so excited to learn about all the things I can do with mybunnies! I couldn't WAIT to get them that run in thebackyard. Couldn't wait to teach them how to walk (ok, hop)on a harness. Couldn't wait to litter train them!It has been so interesting and fun! The individualpersonalities of each bun amazes me! Now I understand why weare all crazy for our buns!

Hugs!

Latest posts

Back