Confused about wood

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maisy126

Reaction score
I would really like Batty to have something to chew on/play with that would last a little while,as he is outside and I don't get to spend as much time as I'd like to with him. I got a ball that had like the thing the red rabbit on the banner has on his/her ears with grass sewn into it, at first he didn't like it then one day, half of it was gone, the next; only a string of grass remained.

So, I wanted to know if there was any other way to get wood for him besides having a tree or ordering it (I can't sadly). And my mom said she would like to have like two apple trees, but I don't think it will be anytime soon (besides, we have a blue spruce and a 'green spruce' as I call it to chop down)

Thank you,

Maisy

Forgot to mention, as soon as the trees start growing them, I'm getting pinecones for him as well (since I knowhow to 'sanitize' them now!*thank you whoever told me in my topic about pinecones*)

I bought a bag of old style cloths pins at the Dollar Store for Zamboni. He will nibble on them for time to time and throw them. The ferts keep taking them and put them in their little hidey holes around the apartment.lol Think I need to go get another bag.

Have you tried looking around forestry commisions etc?, they usually give away blocks of trees they have cut down, as long as its safe that could keep him entertained for a while (and they make a good sun bathing spot....apparently!)

I had an idea if plastic buttons are safe for buns:

I get a shirt or cotton washcloth and some plastice buttons and sisal rope/twine

Then, I make the rope/twine small enough to fit into the button hole (like, cut a piece and then take it apart a little) and sew buttons onto the shirt/washcloth and hange it up in his cage?

That could work but there is a possibility or him/her eating the buttons or choking.

Something I recently tried with my rabbit is:

get a small peice of newspaper (if the ink is soy-based), put a small peice of carrot, apple, cucumber etc in it then twist it tightly at the top to close it off a bit then put them around the rabbit cage, my boy CJ LOVES just running around trying to find them and then when he gets them he will throw them in the air, rip up the news paper and collect his treat, then go on to find more.

Another one is a "bunny binky":

Get a peice of sisal rope about 9 inches long, a peice of wood about 1.5-2" diameter x 1" thick, fold the the sisal rope in half and thread it through the peice of wood (making sure the wood has no splinters!) and then you should have a bunny binky - my little guy (once again) loves to throw them around and they are cheap to replace!

Does your local pet shop not do wooden chews? I got loads of little vegetable shaped wooden chew things. They were really cheap, which was good because they were destroyed in a few days!

There's only one pet store near us (right in town actually) but it's pricier than I've seen and they don't really have anything for buns (well, I did see an eco-trition snak shak, do you think that would be good for him?)

I think I'd definitely stay very far away from the "snack shack." They are extremely unhealthy for pets and I do believe there have been instances of such processed treats causing death in small animals.

There is someone on the site (gentle giants) who has been selling some small toys for bunnies as a fundraiser for her rescue (Hope for Hares). I think she's been willing to work with people if they don't have access to paypal or credit cards to order online and her toys are extremely reasonable. You should be able to find her original thread in the rescue section on this site. The toys look great (which reminds me I need to order some).

I'm also a fan of baby toys. The hard plastic kind. They're very chew resistant and my buns all love them. And they're usually a lot cheaper than the toys sold for rabbits in pet stores. I just got a set of 32 hard plastic links for my bunnies for under $4. I made them into "balls" for by guys and they love them. Another good place to buy is a craft store. They usually have untreated willow balls and wreaths along with untreated wood for projects. The possibilities are endless! You can also put hay in a paper bag and that makes for some foraging fun. Newspaper, cardboard (with no ink or soy based ink), and $1 store finds are also great.

Good luck and let us know if you come up with anything good!

Alexah wrote:
I think I'd definitely stay very far away from the "snack shack." They are extremely unhealthy for pets and I do believe there have been instances of such processed treats causing death in small animals.

There is someone on the site (gentle giants) who has been selling some small toys for bunnies as a fundraiser for her rescue (Hope for Hares). I think she's been willing to work with people if they don't have access to paypal or credit cards to order online and her toys are extremely reasonable. You should be able to find her original thread in the rescue section on this site. The toys look great (which reminds me I need to order some).

I'm also a fan of baby toys. The hard plastic kind. They're very chew resistant and my buns all love them. And they're usually a lot cheaper than the toys sold for rabbits in pet stores. I just got a set of 32 hard plastic links for my bunnies for under $4. I made them into "balls" for by guys and they love them. Another good place to buy is a craft store. They usually have untreated willow balls and wreaths along with untreated wood for projects. The possibilities are endless! You can also put hay in a paper bag and that makes for some foraging fun. Newspaper, cardboard (with no ink or soy based ink), and $1 store finds are also great.

Good luck and let us know if you come up with anything good!

few, I'm glad you told me about the snak shak, glad I didn't get that for him. Thanks, I'll go look up that thread...

I have been looking for some but neither our Target up here or our Wal-mart down in MO has them! but, maybe the new wal-mart thats opening like next month will have some *crosses fingers*

edit: sorry I forgot to mention, we do have a dollar store with wreaths, but only one of them says 'grape vine wreath' :?. Aaaand I heard something about "raffia" is it safe for buns? (I could have heard it in something totally unrelated to rabbits, but they have that there too)

FB9.jpg

This ornament is suitable to give to your bunny, but it is almost too cute to get chewed upon. The bunny measures about 2 x 2.25 x 0.25 inches (5.1 x 5.7 x 0.6 cm), is made of natural hardwood, and hangs from a piece of natural raffia.

:) The raffia at the dollar store is dyed, and I don't remember if they had a natural color or not *sighs*

(sorry the picture is so big)

pinksalamander wrote:
Could you not just remove the rafia string at the top?
I was just posting that because a rabbit toy supplier had it there and I would think if they actually put raffia on their toys, it was safe. But, I don't need to get raffia, I'll just stick with hay, grape vine wreaths and any other rabbit-safe things I find, thanks for your guys' help:)

Latest posts

Back