Confused about my new baby bunny (breed)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtneh

Reaction score
Hello all!

i just got my new baby bunny Pocky today and the lady who i got it from first said they were holland lops... then when i got there she said they were lionlops..

so i am confused on whether she is or isnt a lop of any kind
but i really wanted a lop bunny

here is her picture, she's still adorable though

Picture146.jpg

She is very cute indeed!

Do you know how old she is? I'm no expert in this area... hopefully someone will come by and tell us at what age baby bunnies ears lop, if they are going to. I have a feeling it's around 6-8 weeks, but I'm not sure and I could be way off! She looks pretty young so her ears could still lop...

She doesn't appear to be a lionhead to me, but again I'm no expert and I'm only going off that one photo. I can't see any mane, unlike the cutie in your avatar.

The advice I ususally see given around here is that sometimes it's hard to know for sure the breed until they grow up a bit and you get an idea of their weight. So apart from finding out at what age bunny ears lop, I guess I'm basically telling you to wait... as annoying as that might be.

Enjoy her though, and have fun with her :)

they lady said she was 7 weeks, ive sen regular lops ears go down at like 2 1/2 weeks, but im just not positive o_o i was looking at her qualities and i dont see a mane either so i dont know if the lady even knew what breed they were, she had lionlops in another cage that were 3 wees and they seemed a little similar, but im not even sure lol

if i push her ears down just for fun they stay like an airplane for a few. but i really dont know :p

i will enjoy her, shes a cutie pie ^-^

She looks like the bunnies I seen today that were as well Lops. Their ears have not lopped as well, but I do occasionally see one ear lop every now and again. I go and check on the pets at the petstore every so often. They always know I'm in to visit the bunnies :D
She is adorable and Pocket is a very cute name! Congrats.

It's also possible that she is a lop, but doesn't have lopped ears. it happens from time to time.

My girl bunny Lulu is a dwarf lop, both of her parents had lopped ears but she doesn't. I bought her at 6 months old, knowing she wouldn't have lopped ears. I love her regardless :)

Aww thats cute!

well i emailed the lady again asking what breeds the parents were just to see maybe..

if she doesnt get lops then i guess i'll have to add another bunny to my family :p lol

they're like potato chips! cant have just one xD

that's a good idea, asking about her parents. I guess she could still lie, if she has lied before and needs to keep covering that up... sorry to be negative about it, but she has told you one breed, then another... I guess you could ask to see pics of her parents too? which sounds like a sentimental thing but it's harder to lie about. just a thought... good thinking though to ask, it can't really hurt. let us know what she says!

haha good excuse for bunny number three you reckon...

i saw some of the parents, i know there was a broken lop similar color to her in a separate cage, i know she couldnt be a mini rex bc she pointed them out, but there was a lionhead doe in with 3 week old kits.

I think it would be just possible that a mother doe could have 3 week old kits and 7 week old kits... I don't think it's recommended but it's just possible since gestation is around 31 days.

Could still not be that mother though. See what she says :)

Well i got ahold of the lady again, and she said she is either a holland lop or a holland lop polish, so either way she has lop in her ^-^

the actual person i talked to went away and her grandmother was there which is who i talked to.

but now i know!

lets hope her ears start to droop

Hi Courtney. Welcome to RO and nice to see a picture of little Pocky!

I'm no expert at this but I have a feeling that this thread may get more advice in the Rabbitry forum. We have members who are breeders and they might have more wisdom for you :) Do you want me to move this there?

Bunny Blog forum is for threads where people are going to blog about their life, their animals and of course their rabbits ;)

Hi Courtney!

Lops are a hard thing to put a blanket statement on, so this is just my experience.

I raise Holland Lops and most babies are fully lopped by about 6 weeks of age. Then, they may go through a phase of crown development. The crown is the area between their ears that determines ear placement. During this time, the ears may airplane (straight out) for a bit. But generally they lop again when the growth period is over.

That is only in general. I've had babies that have totally lopped who had vertical ears until they were 14 weeks old. So there are always exceptions.

Your baby looks like it may be a lop mix, especially since the lady told you it was...she's probably right. Lop mixes are very iffy and do not often end up with lop ears. Usually, they may have airplane ears or vertical ears that droop a little when they relax.

If you definitely want a lop rabbit, I'd contact a reputable breeder who breeds purebred lops, because an actual lop cross is your best bet at lop ears. In the meantime though, don't give up on your bunny. Especially if she's a mix, it may just take a little while.

I'm no expert but I did get a bit of info - I read that if the parents are first generation lop the ears don't always lop for the babies - the lionlops ears tend to droop less for some reason too - maybe if she has babies their ears will lop (or you might need a lop to make them lop)
I wanted a lop too but they seem hard to find around here.

The owner emailed me saying she is either a holland lop or a holland lop polish which i havent heard of that one before, but she said it might take until 15 weeks for her ears to go down.

thanks for all your guys advice!!

Latest posts

Back