confused about caecotrophs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raising 4 babies

Reaction score
hello i am new here. my rabbit muffy got taken bya dog 6 days ago and i am hand rearing her 4 babys they are doing greatall of them r putting on weight and eating the required amount of milk.i am a bit confused i have been reading up on hand rearing even thoughi have done in twice before and all of them have survived, on almostevery web page i look at it tells me that baby rabbits need to eatcaecotrophs from about 3 weeks of age so they can have the rightbacteria in there stomachs to beable to handle solid food. caecotrophsis basically clusters of adult rabbit poops. non of my other babys didand they where fine i am worried beacuse it says they could die at even8 weeks old cos they cant handle adult food. should i be worried,another thing anyone got any good advice on what to use to feed thelittle takkers i am using a little teet and bottle i find it not goodcos if the hole is to small on the bottle they cant suck the milk andif i make it to big i have to watch that they dont suck to fast so theydont get it in there lungs, this is hard cos they love there milk. asyringe is not good either they dont like it and neither do i. i wantsomthing they can suck the milk out of

How old are the babies?

I'm sorry I cant really answer you questions about cecotropes.Although, at three weeksI would think they would be makingtheir own cecotropes, sincetheyll be eating some foods otherthan milk by then.

I've never hand raised kits but I've read the articles as well and itis disappointing to read that they almost never make it. I'm glad youvehad so much luck in the past.

Most everything I've read says to use an eyedropper. You might try that and see how it works for you.

Best of luck.

Lanna

the bunnies r about 2 and a half - 3 weeks old. iwill try an eye dropper if i can find one i guess u get one from achemist what r they made out of.

raising 4 babies wrote:
the bunnies r about 2 and a half - 3 weeks old. i will tryan eye dropper if i can find one i guess u get one from a chemist whatr they made out of.
Greetings and welcome to the forum.

I'm so sorry to hear about the mommie bunnie :(.

I bet the local drug store carries something that would be suitable.IMO I would select something that is plastic and not glass. I remembergetting plastic eyedroppers to give meds to my children when they werebabies. A pet store might even carry something usable or have someideas on what to use. Might even consider asking a vet for somethingthat can be used.

Thoughts and prayers are sent your way.

I'm hoping that bumping this will prompt a response from one of our bunnie experts on the forum.

Jim

Back