conflicting info about bonding and fighting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BelleBlanche

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have two male 5 month old rabbits, and they will be castrated next Wednesday. They fought today for the first and second time and I stopped it immediately. I expected this to happen since a lot of you already warned me. But now I read a lot about bonding etc. or separating them in different rooms, keeping them together, or separated next to each other. So I came here to get specific advice. They were free in the room and I now put one in the cage and the other one free in the room. However, I don't think that is fair.. But to buy another cage...? They actually only slept in there at night and are free roamed all day in the living room. But to let them out one at the time I need two cages... Also, am I overacting and should I wait for a bit? I read that you should separate them immediate so the bond does not get any worse.. The two litter boxes are situated next to each other one out of the cage one in... Help? What is the best I can do? Bonding I read a lot about and there are many videos on it but not a lot of advice about the pre-castration and month after.. Also, I feel I need some personal advice..

Hugs.

Think about it as your new reality, they are growing and they will never be babies again. They can be bonded (with no guarantee because some rabbits just hate each other forever, but there's always hope) but in any way you will need to wait min 2 months after neutering so it's about 2,5-3 months for you from today. So you need setup for your next 3 months.

I agree with you that keeping one in cage and other free-roaming is unfair, also free-roaming one will understand that this is his own territory so when first rabbit will be allowed out he can disagree with that because it's new rabbit in his own territory. This can cause fights again.

I understand your situation and it is very common situation as already said, I also understand that as a new rabbit person you can think maybe they will be fine and they will get along again etc. Unfortunately experience says that it is rarely easy, and bonding can also be complicated, and you have no experience as well so there's more challenges for you in the next 3+ months.

What I personally would do, I would keep one of them and would neuter him and after 2+ months after neutering would look for a companion for him I would be looking at 6+ months old fixed females from your local rescues, or on your local adverts for people who are looking for a new home for their rabbits.
Male and female pair has more chances to bond (I don't say that two neutered males can't be bonded, but it can be more complicated sometimes, especially when you keep them close to each other when they are still intact, but it depends also on your rabbits and their personalities, it is very individual)

So I would keep one and would look for a good home for another. Be careful though ask for home check what other pets they have etc, some people breed rabbits for reptile food or use them as a live bait for training dogs so be suspicious. But there's lots of good people around and surely your other rabbit can find his safe loving forever home.

If you want to keep both I would separate them completely so they can't see and smell each other and after 2,5 months when you start bonding they can be introduced to each other in a neutral territory as completely new rabbits, they will forget some minor fight for sure, but I would also keep them both in cages and would limit their territory as otherwise you won't have any neutral territory to use for bonding sessions.

It's all your decision you know your situation and you decide, any question you can ask and get opinions, people will suggest different solutions and so you can make your own.

Jeah they will be castrated both next Wednesday. To get a female in exchange for one of the males is my option B but to be honest I am not there yet.

You still have plenty of time to make your mind, meanwhile you did good that you separated them. I know it's hard to decide it is important that they are safe now and can't damage each other while you are not there, well done. Longer they stay it will be harder to let one go as you are getting more and more attached to them, after surgery when they maybe need some more attention it will be even harder :cool:

Jeah they will be castrated both next Wednesday. To get a female in exchange for one of the males is my option B but to be honest I am not there yet.
Also, if you decide on getting a female bear in mind that if she's unfixed your neutered rabbit can still impregnate her up to 6-8 weeks after his surgery so best if she's fixed (also more than 1 month ago as females are often still territorial or hormonal some time after that). Anyway you will need to keep them separately 2 months after his neutering.

Yes if I do ill keep that in mind. I can't have them in seperate rooms but I will try to get another cage and put it on the other side of the room.

I separated them into different "rooms" one has now the whole hallway with its own cage and the other has the whole living room with cage. I contacted a local Rabbit location. They can go on Rabbit holiday to find a mate. Don't know yet which I want to keep and which I want to exchange.

Latest posts

Back