Conditioning/Supplement recipies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilangelhotots

Reaction score
Anyone care to share their feeding program for their show bunnies? Pretty please?:DMost breeders I've talked to keep their supplement recipie a secret...

Thank you SO much!

I don't usually supplement my show rabbits. A good pellet and hay with fresh clean water is the best as far as I am concerned. If I think a rabbit needs a little boost I give them a teaspoon of oatmeal a day and 4 or 5 sunflower seeds.

Roger

What a good idea for a post, Lilangel! I've been wanting to know this myself!

All i give my rabbits is oranges for their fur, and in the winter, some black oil sunflower seeds. Other than that, they get fresh hay and pellets daily.

Emily

Like RAL Rabbitry, I do not do anything extra for the show rabbits. A well balanced pellet, good quality hay and fresh water. I give my babies oats (rolled oats)at weaning and during the winter I may supplement with the oats. I also add a few sunflower seeds over the winter (cold months) to help keep oil in the skin and fur.

Wheatgerm oil works very well. It also helps with older stock slowing down breeding or just any rabbit in gerneral not wanting to breed. I was told about it some years ago and I always keep it handy though I do not show. One breeder told me they found a brand of pellet that was coated in wheatgerm oil. I personally would like to find it but it is not carried here.

The "secret" to good conditioning is in the genetics. You want to breed a line of rabbits that conditions easily and holds a prime coat. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, no matter how much conditioner you use. ;)

Pam

I completely agree with Pam- it's mostly genetics. We call the conditioner a "dressing" and don't have much need for it anymore it seems. We used to mix in 1 c oats, 1/2 cup wheat germ or 1/2 cup rolled barley, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds and about 1/8 cup calf manna. We fed about 2 tablespoons everyother day along with pellets, hay and lots of water.

Latest posts

Back