Conditioning for Show

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RV

Reaction score
My daughter has two 4 month old polish blacksthat she is taking to show next month. In a show a few weeksago their condition and coat were fair. Any advice on feedingto improve condition and coat? Currently they are on PurinaRabbit Chow 17% protein, 1.5% fat and fiber 17%, with small amounts offresh vegetables.

Thanks for your input.

Rhonda

I don't breed/show rabbits, but I do know thatmost rabbits do better with pellets that have 16% or lessprotein. 16% is probably the normal ideal for young growingrabbits like your Polish. Too high of protein can cause thecoat to be somewhat dull and not as soft. I know my Polishmix had pretty rough fur when I was feeding her 17% protein, althoughit was Kaytee (blech). I switched to 14% protein timothypellets when she was 6 months old and her fur turned gorgeous in amatter of weeks.

I know some of the show breeders here give small treats like sunflowerseeds to help condition the coat, but I'm not sure how much or in whatcircumstances.

I feed Purina Advanced Show Formula (16%) and Timothy hay with

occasional treats of rolled oats and black oil sunflower seeds.

Several top breeders have given me recipes for their conditioning

mix and they get pretty elaborate. I don't think that you should have

to feed all these concoctions though if your breeding program is on

target and your rabbits have good fur to begin with JMHO.

When my rabbits are in prime fur and condition I cut back slightly on the

pellets and add more hay. Good clean plenitful amounts of water is also

very important.

The other problem you have to look at if your rabbit's fur won't prime is

parasites. I don't deworm on a regular basis unless it is needed. I do

take stool samples from several of my rabbits to the vets every couple of

months and have them tested for parasites.

Roger L

Definitely go for the lower protein feed (16% iscommon). Any of the special conditioners can add too muchprotein and fat to the diet and end up causing poor fur/fleshcondition. The fats from a few black sunflower seeds can addextra gloss to the fur - but be careful not too overfeed.Rolled oats have been used for many years to add good flesh conditionwithout over-finishing.

Genetics are a primary factor in how well a rabbit will maintain condition.

Pam

http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/

Latest posts

Back