Computer Protection...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hummer

Reaction score
My computer is getting attacked again and I waswondering what do you use to prevent spyware, adware and the like fromtaking over your computer? I have used SpySweeper and ZoneAlarm in the past but of course stuff still got past both ofthose. That and the subscription for both have runout. I have just run AVG Free Edition and right now Ad-awareSE is running and they find stuff but it is not the thing that isthrowing hot so nice things on my screen.:mad:UUUGGHHH! It seems like no matter what you do or what youuse, "junk" still gets past you somehow.

So, what do you use to protect your computer from thesethings? Would you recommend this? Pleasehelp, I really do not know what to do, everything I check out, they allsay that they can fix it for a price but I do not know who to trust.

Thanks alot!

A friend of mine built this computer for me andloaded up several programs that he uses on his computers. Ithink they are free versions, but they work. I've had thiscomputer for over a year now and no problems. I have AvastAntivirus, Ad Aware SE (remove spyware), Spybot Search and Destroy(remove spyware), Spywareblaster (prevent spyware), and I use MozillaFirefox as my internet browser. I swear there was somethingelse, but I can't find it now.

I use Mozilla! Internet Explorer has the security of a cheap dollar store diary. Mozilla is awesome!

My mix of antiviruses have kept me virus-free despite... hmmm... unsavory websites... They work well!!!

My spyware/adware/virus scanners are Spybot:Search and Destroy, and AVG(Free version). They each get what the othermisses. I use Spyware Blaster, as it blocks known baddiesbefore they have a chance to get into your computer for the otherscanners to find them!

My secret weapon that picks up anything the others don't, is Ewido Anti-Malware. It is magic.

I'm not saying that my programs are best, but I never ever ever get spyware, adware, or viruses!

I HIGHLY recommend Ewido. It is magic. It will get everything.

Thanks, I am going to check those out rightnow. I also use Mozilla and it looks like I also have ADAware SE, maybe it will help to have those others too.

I am off to investigate...:wink:

Look for spybot search and destroy. Ad aware isgood but if you use it with adware they are complementary since eachalone will not catch everything. Go to grc.com and read... wait til thepage changes and scroll down to the section "your three musketeers".Use all 3 of these together and that should work.
If you have windows xp service pack 2 you have a firewall built in, ifnot the regular zone alarm firewall is still free. GRC.com has a toolto test your firewall to see how you computer appears to the outsideworld.
Keep repeatedly using spybot search and destroy, adware, and avganti-virus repeatedly since my husband has been know to do this processfor 4hrs on my dads computer to get rid of all his virus. Then keepthese subscriptions up to date, get the updates, and run them often.

Computer Shopper (part of CNET) recently put outa list of the Top50 free downloads. Included are programs to protectagainst spyware and virus protection. I've been a long timeuser of Spybot S&D but now there is a new kid on theblock. Spybot S&D which has for years been on the top50 list has been pushed off by this new free program called SpycatcherExpress.

My computer guy recommended AVG, but I still ended up contracting a trojan that crippled by pc internet access.

I had to get a new pc, and now use Norton -- so far, so good.

Used to use McAfee -- didn't care for it.

Pam

Just Jack wrote:
Spybot S&D which has for years been on thetop 50 list has been pushed off by this new free program calledSpycatcher Express.
Thanks, I'll have to try that. :) (Can't find the disk with Spybot on it anyway).

I've got McAfee, it'scaught everything so far, I've never hada problem. I alsonever open attachments, and I'vemanaged to avoid weird stuff from websites.

However, my laptop suddenly slowed down to a crawl a few months back, Idon't see any weird processes going on, and I wasn't connected to thenet at the time, so it may be a graphics card or something, but I'llrun Spycatcher on it and see what happens. :)

sas :) (andpipp, dill, radar and darry and sherry) :group

Might also want to try a registrycleaner. There is a good program in the Desktop Utilitiesportion (amongst many others) called Tweaknow Regcleaner. Itwill show you all the registry entries that are safe for removal.

REMEMBER TO UPDATE YOUR PROGRAMS!!

They won't protect against the most recent bugs unless they'reupdated! Many of them, you can set up automatic updating, orset up a schedual of updating. Update update update!

Just Jack wrote:
Might also want to try a registry cleaner. Thereis a good program in the Desktop Utilities portion (amongst manyothers) called Tweaknow Regcleaner. It will show you all theregistry entries that are safe for removal.
Uh, what are registry entries? :huh I'm not very computer literate.

When my computer is slowing down, it's usually time to delete the temporary files and do a defrag of the hard drives.

naturestee wrote:
Uh, what are registry entries? :huh I'mnot very computer literate.

When my computer is slowing down, it's usually time to delete the temporary files and do a defrag of the hard drives.

Haha! Yeah that's me too. And that is why I usually stay out of computer conversations.

I use McAfee and so far I've had no problems with it. On our othercomputer we had Pest Patrol andwe couldsearchforand destroyspyware and adware hidden on thecomputer. But on my computer I don't have that and I feel very insecurefor some reason.

Lissa

Wow, this is a lot of info I am checkingout. So far, I have Ewido, AVG Free and I already had SpybotS & D and Ad Aware SE Personal. I am running those 4at least once a day until I stop getting that message saying mycomputer is infected. (the message that is saying because itwants me to d/l its product, I am not dumb enough to dothat!) I did check out the new one called Spycatcher Express,but when I read a portion of its reveiw, decided to stay away fromit. A number of people, after they d/l it , their computerfroze up and I do not want to chance it.

Thank you all for your suggestions!:thanks:

Microsoft released their own spyware removalprogram called "Windows Defender," it is free too. I also recommendswitching browsers and keeping your computer up to date by going towindowsupdate.com... I read that 80%+ of people use IE, so the majorityof the exploits target users with IE, get it? I only use IE to updatewindows and websites i trust that won't work with Opera(my currentinternet browser.)

Latest posts

Back