Columbia-Lexington SC looking for suggestion..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anneq

Reaction score
I talked with a vet on the phone regarding having my male neutered.
I had gone to her before with my female when she had an eye injury, and she seemed very nice - and did prescribe an ointment that completely cleared-up the injury.
However, I've been reading information on buns and how before they go in for surgery, that the rules that apply for dogs & cats, doesn't apply to them.. namely, they should be allowed to eat up until the time they go in.
When I called to make an appoint.for my male bun, I was told to not feed him the night before surgery, and that there is a higher risk for complications for bunnies than dogs or cats. This vet has done rabbit surgery before, but I was cautious after hearing the 'no food the night before surgery'...
Anyone have a vet they can recommend in this area that is rabbit worthy?

thanks

the no food thing is wrong, a rabbit doesnt vomit so there is no risk of them vomiting during surgery and aspirating, i believe. Rabbits need to eat so that they keep thier GI tract going, you dont want a bunny who isnt eating, KWIM. I fed all my guys up to the minute i walked out the door, i also packed a "lunch" for them that was to be given to them immediately upon waking from surgery.

Thank you Luv ...from everything I've read, I too was informed that bunnies don't need to be taken off their food before surgery and that they should be encouraged and tempted, if necessary, to start eating as soon after surgery as possible to keep their GI happy.

Hey Anne. I don't know if you're still looking for a vet but I definitely know one you could try out. Dr. Kevin Blaes. He is at the Banfield Hospital that is located inside the PetsMart on Harbison Blvd. I took my guinea pig to him a few years back and him and his wife actually breed cavies. He works with several exotic species and is recommended as a rabbit vet for this state. Let me know if you need better directions or anything. Its located only about 10-15 minutes from me. Good luck!

Oh cool, thanks Tori - I did take my Sammy last month to a local vet here - she had seen my Rosey for an eye scratch - everything went well (even though the lady who handles the appointments said not to feed him the night before surgery - naturally, I ignored that advice).

Yeah, there are a few vets in there so just make sure you ask for Dr. Blaes. I was about 12 or 13 (17 now) and he educated me a lot about my guniea pig. He told me why my piggie wasn't show quality but that, obviously, he was still a great pet. Also, if my pig turned out to have mites he was going to let me go back and see them on the microscope, but luckly he didn't have any. Just a hands-on and all around nice guy :)

tori wrote:
Yeah, there are a few vets in there so just make sure you ask for Dr. Blaes. I was about 12 or 13 (17 now) and he educated me a lot about my guniea pig. He told me why my piggie wasn't show quality but that, obviously, he was still a great pet. Also, if my pig turned out to have mites he was going to let me go back and see them on the microscope, but luckly he didn't have any. Just a hands-on and all around nice guy :)

Yes,

Dr. Blaes is the one that I previously recommended: http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=44696&forum_id=84

anneq: Would you like me to ask my extremely bunny-savvy friend (located in Columbia) to contact you? I know that she would be a wealth of information for you. If you would like to hear from Emily, just PM me your email and phone # and I will forward it to her.

I may hit you up for Emma's phone number in the future - I did go ahead and have Sammy neutered, and everything went off w/o a hitch. It would be good to have someone local though to be able to get in touch with however, if I come up against something I just can't handle on my own.
Thank you for the offer, Patty - it's very thoughtful of you:)

Coming out of lurk mode :big wink: well okay visiting for the first time in a while. Every one at PetSmart Banfield in Columbia and Lexington are great. Dr. Blaes has the most experience but Dr Wong and Dr Panno at the Two Notch office are very knowledgeable and have taken good care of both my buns. There's even a bunny nurse, Cody (Uncle Cody to my Fiona bun :D). Big guy with muscles but such a mush with the bunnies, it's adorable.
Anne and Tori, please feel free to PM me for my local info. It's good to see some neighbors on the forum

Latest posts

Back