Colours and patterns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollie

Reaction score
Juniper is white with black patches, but she hasmealy markings around her eyes, and tan around the edges of her earsand at the back of her head/on her neck - like a black otter.

Is it possible that her base color is black otter, but her markingsoverride the color and make her white? I don't know if that makessense....!

Coatcolor is produced by thecombination of many different genes (primarily A B C D E).Other genes that influence the rabbits coat color are theSilveringand Wideband genes.

Coat patterns that produce white on the coat are Dutch, Broken, and theVienna Gene (V)which can also produce piebald markings in theheterozygous Vv.

So yes - it is possible for a rabbit to be an otter, but have Dutch pattern white markings.

The genes that produce white on the coat actually restrict themigration of pigment producing cells to certain areas, or shut off thecell's ability to produce pigment.

Pink eyed dilute is a gene recently introduced to the US fromEurope. The gene dilutes coat color and completely removespigment from the rabbit's eye.

Pam

My Puck is a broken black otter (that carrieschocolate) and as he's aged - you can really see the chocolate in acouple of spots.

So yes, its possible to be broken black otter...

Peg

You can kind of see the tan in her ears andaround her eyes in this pic - I'll try and get some better oneslater.... and she's definitely got dalmation spots! :p

Image005-4.jpg

Image002-2.jpg

I can't believe it... at the beginning of the month I'd never even heard of black otter, and now I've got two! :p

Back