colour of wee

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thick, creamy urine indicates that your rabbitis getting too much calcium. Sometimes they'll get urine thatlooks like this once but will be fine the rest of the day and you won'tsee it again for weeks. If you see it more often, you shoulddefinately decrease her calcium intake. If she is fully grown(usually over 6 months), switch her to a timothy based pellet insteadof alfalfa. Adult rabbits should not be fed alfalfa unlessthey are breeding or having trouble maintaining their weight.

Is your doe spayed? If not, has she ever been with a male orcaged directly next to one? The can "have fun" through thecage bars. If she is spayed, she probably is experiencing afalse pregnancy. If she is not spayed, I'd prepare for babiesjust to be safe.

Have you read up on breeding, birthing(especially problems), and taking care of kits? If not, Isuggest you do so now as it sounds like babies are coming. Doyou have a nest box? You'll need that for the kits.Check out this thread, it has some good info:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=5541&forum_id=1

I'm not a breeder so I can't help you much with this. Thereare lots of other people here that can give you good advice.

And I really recommend neutering your buck now. Even afterthe neuter, his sperm will still be viable for several weeks.

It does sound like babies are on theway! Place a heavy cardboard box in the cage so thedoe can make her nest in it (cut one side lower for her to jump in andout). Pack the box with hay or straw for nesting material.

The doe will mate again immediately after giving birth, so be sure she is not exposed to the buck again.

The creamy urine is not unusual because rabbits excreet excess calcium in their urine.

You'll need to watch the doe carefully for any signs of kindling(birthing problems). If she continues to strain and is notpassing the kits or if she becomes ill a visit to the vet is in order.

Pam

Latest posts

Back