Colour genetics, fur and eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZminilops

Reaction score
What makes dark eyes on one bun, and light eyes on another?

Sakura was a blue fox (blue silver marten) nethie.

Ceara is a black fox (black silver marten) nethie.

So...not that much different going on in the genetics department. This is what I know about them from their pedigree information/parentage.

Ceara: at_BBcchd_D_E_
Sakura: atat BBcchd_ dd EE

What I don't get though, is that Sakura was a paler colour, yet her eyes were dark brown. Ceara is dark, but her eyes are a very light grey. Everything I read online says blue fox should have grey-blue eyes. I can't find any info on what colour eyes black fox is meant to have.

Sakuras parents were both blue fox. Her grandparents are unkown by me but her mother is a pedigree nethie so I could get hold of partial information.

Cearas parents are a blue fox and a sable. Grandparents were sable marten, agouti, blue fox, black fox. Great grandparents were REW, sable marten, agouti, broken black (I think, it says spottie black on the papers??), unkown, black fox, chinchilla, rew.

Is it normal for a black fox/silver marten coloured bun to have light eyes?

Sakura

DSC08319.jpg

Ceara (a bit sunbleached)

DSC04749.jpg

]

I think both blue and black are allowed either brown or blue gray eyes. My zoe who is a black fox has stunning gray eyes. anyway both eye colours are allowed over here. My black fox buck has brown eyes Lol

NZminilops wrote:

Sakura

The culpritcan bethe "cchd" chin gene that can cause various colors of eyes. Could I get your permission to use Ceara's photo for a coat color class I'm doing in March?

Pam

Completely off topic but I am hugely impressed how much information you have on you parent! It's fabulous being able to trace their genetics back that far.

Sabine wrote:
Completely off topic but I am hugely impressed how much information you have on you parent! It's fabulous being able to trace their genetics back that far.
In this country the breeder would hardly even be able to tell you who the dam is haha!

irishbunny wrote:
Sabine wrote:
In this country the breeder would hardly even be able to tell you who the dam is haha!
I can second that:D

pamnock wrote:
NZminilops wrote:

Sakura

The culpritcan bethe "cchd" chin gene that can cause various colors of eyes. Could I get your permission to use Ceara's photo for a coat color class I'm doing in March?

Pam
I have no problem with that Pam, actually I look at your website almost daily and it's been a great help to me, so anything I could do in return, I'd be glad to to.

Irish members, you guys don't have pedigree papers with buns? Wow that's annoying :(.

Pedigree papers for bunnies are unheard of. very few breeders advertise. the most i've seen is someone putting pictures of parents online. i'd love the idea

Irish members, you guys don't have pedigree papers with buns? Wow that's annoying :(.
I had to laugh here, pedigree papers? Most people don't even know what a pedigree rabbit is! Through much rooting and searching I have found two breeders who actually know what they are doing. I don't really think I want things to change though, since the way it is now we have no population problem but also no show or standards so it's sort of balanced.

I like the balance too. i'd rather moan about the lack of standard than about the amount of abandoned rabbits. But still, if I did breed I'd like to tell the prospective owners what rabbit they are getting and who the parents are.
It's cool you can even break down the genetic code!

Speaking of black silver marten - that is what I was told Tio is also...here's his picture - for an eye comparison. Its not a great picture though...

DSCN3762.jpg

Pamnocks website gives the genetics for all the colours, it's really handy.

A pedigree paper here in NZ isn't that specific really, just has the parents, grandparents and greatgrandparents names and what colour they were and the rabbitry name they were born at. It's not some registered thing, you just fill them out yourself as a breeder. Ceara is tattoo'd though so she's registered in that way, so I could show her if I liked.

A pedigree isn't a great way to find a quality bun, just helps for breeding I reckon, knowing what colours are in the background.

Pedigree doesn't even mean a wellbred bunny, just that you know the parentage. Like a family tree I suppose? Some people make great ones and have show info on them too though which is neat.

Aww Peg, that picture of Tio is gorgeous!

Sabine wrote:
I like the balance too. i'd rather moan about the lack of standard than about the amount of abandoned rabbits.
Same, in such a small country though we could do without big rabbitrys producing lot's of rabbits, we would soon be overrun, that's what I would be worried about something like ARBA or BRC coming here, since the IKC was setup there was a huge increase in abandoned dogs.

NZminilops wrote:
Aww Peg, that picture of Tio is gorgeous!
This one is probably my favorite - but I don't know who is Tio and who is Kyo (who I really do regret rehoming now that Tio is older and settled down).

This was before they both had their boy bits drop...the first few days I got them...

bunnies042.jpg

Peg your boys looklike sable martens as opposed to back fox (or maretns in the US I think) they are very brown looking in pics like AYlas buns I will need to get pictures her buck Budgey is stunning as a nethie even better than my chins and they are pretty yummy :p

Latest posts

Back