Colour confusion!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenson

Reaction score
Well, I've just got two new does, a magpie and a dalmation.

I asked on RabbittalkUK what would be a good colour to breed to a magpie and was told chin, because agouti causes the brindling. I'm confused by this because I know harlequins are a good match for dalmations, but I've read that dalmations should never be bred to any agouti rabbit, so I don't get how that works!

This is much more confusing than solid colours. :?

Anyway, here they are.

_MG_7385magsd.jpg

_MG_7382bigmissy.jpg

If anyone can explain how these colours work I'd be very grateful.;)

I know absolutely nothing about this, but...

That first doe is remarkable! I love love love the pattern on her face. It's something like a checkerboard on her face.

Can I have her?

Thanks! She is rather special isn't she? I'm so glad I found her!:D

I wouldn't give her up for £100, besides being the only magpie Standard Rex I have found anywhere (I've not heard of anyone else who breeds them either:() she has a brilliant personality, she loves her cuddles!

I don't know much about harlequin genetics. Hopefully Pam will be along soon. But, I do know that genetically speaking a tri-color (dalmation in UK) is a broken (butterfly) version of a harlequin. So, breeding a harlequin to a tri color should be fine, as far as the patterns go. What I am not sure about is the color compatibility. The first rabbit is a Magpie and the second rabbit, if it were solid, would be a Japanese harlequin. Not sure how those two colors work together.

Gorgeous rabbits! Gorgeous pictures!!

The dalmation can be bred to red or jap harlequin. Our US standard DQs for self "aa" tris because they are often shaded like a tort. You shouldn't breed with agouti varieties such as chestnut because it produces harli markings on the chestnuts.

Magpie is a harlequin with the chinchilla gene, which removes all the red.

Pam

I should clarify since I was referring to Chestnut Agouti in general that Chestnut Agouti = Castor.

Pam

*Looks at everyone in bewilderment*

Yanno, a while ago I thought I'd get into breeding but it's waaaaaaaaaaay more complicated than I thought :p

Latest posts

Back