Coloring a Bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hok9

Reaction score
My wife wanted me to color a bunny. It started with that cheetos commercial with the orange bunny. I got curious too as we have 2 white bunnies.

Has any one used stuff that would, like the hair color spray?

NO DO NOT USE HAIRSPRAY!

It is toxic and will kill them.

They would most probably die during the application due to their fragile respiratory systems. If not when they cleaned themselves later.

The only thing you can use to color your rabbits is Food dye.

I use it on Lucy in the hotter summer months because it drys quickly. Dilute it and apply with a paintbrush. For detail I use undiluted.

Eeek defintely not spray! :(

It would probably be best just to not colour them at all

We were just wondering. The spray was the only thing i can think of. I might try food dye if we actually go through with it.

I use it on Lucy in the hotter summer months because it drys quickly. Dilute it and apply with a paintbrush. For detail I use undiluted.
why only in the summer?

Rabbits don't cope too well with getting wet, so I only do it during the summer. Though she looks very pretty when I do do it to her.

I wouldn't color a rabbit. With the weather getting cooler it wouldn't be good for them to be wet. If you want to do it, I would use food dye in a spray bottle on mist, that way they are not completely wet all the way to the skin. The color wouldn't last as long though.

:yeahthat: I'm sure you can find far more constructive things to do with your time. ;)

Pam

I think it would just unnecessarily stress the rabbit out.

When I was a teenager we used to dye my friends cats and dogs. We used to dye our own hair weird colors(pink, blue, green) and we found out the hair dye we used was safe for animals too(called the company) as it was made from vegetable dye.

It was pretty funny dying the cats but it wasn't what I would consider stress free. You have to put the dye on, leave it for 30mins while you make sure the cat(or animal) doens't try to lick it off. Then you have to wash them. Which with a cat was fairly stressful, as the cats did not want to be bathed, lol. It was hilarious seeing cats and the dog dyed a bunch of different colors and patterns but I would guess this way would be WAY too stressful on a rabbit.

If you really want a dyed rabbit, I would do the food coloring/spray bottle method. It won't give you a solid colored rabbit but it should still tint them the color.

You know what works? KOOL AID. It doesn't make them sticky, as there is no sugar added to those little packets. You can make a paste out of it and rub it into their fur without getting them too wet. It comes out eventually and isn't too stressful for them. Plus, it makes em smell fruity. ;)

ETA: Since it doesn't take as long as hair dyes and food dyes, that adds- it's much less stressful than going through the whole mess of dying a rabbit like you would a human.

I second the koolaid. It is cheap and it actually works very well. We used to color our hair with it when I was in college. It doesn't last long for a human who washes their hair on a regular basis but it would probably last a decent amount of time on a rabbit.

Kool-Aid is the best thing I can reccommend. It comes in 10-cent packages where I'm from, and it NEVER freaking comes off. XD I often have red or purple stained fingers after making it, and I know it used to be a popular thing to dye your hair with Kool-Aid when mom said "No dyes".

Wow i never thought that this conversation would go this far. It all started with the cheetos commercial.

I would just take a picture of your bunny, then you can photoshop it to any color you want, and change it as often as you want. No mess, no work, and most importantly, no stress to the bunny whatsoever.

:biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back