color/sex question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaf

Reaction score
I know in cats, almost 99.9% of the calicos and torties are female. I've only seen one male calico in my life, and never a male tortie.

My question is, is it the same with rabbits? The tortie colored ones (calico with no white) always female - and what exactly is a calico in a rabbit?

If not with those colors - is there any general distinction between color/markings and sexes?

I don't think there is a connection between calico and female in rabbits. For example, the harliquin rabbit is a breed (female and male) and they have the calico colors. I hope that makes sense?

As far as I can tell, no correlation. I've seen just as many tri-colored (the rabbit equivalent of calico)does as I have bucks.

I have a broken tortie buck (Tort in splotches with a white background; looks kind of like calico too )... I don't think there's any relation between color and gender in rabbits :)
Here's a picture of him, in case I was too vague:

TiredButter5.jpg

~Diana and Butter

The broken tortoise shell color in rabbits is not a sex linked gene. (I don't know of any sex-linked colors being documented in rabbits.) Torts in rabbits are caused by the "e" recessive non-extension gene carried by both sexes.

In cats, a calico/tort must inherit O & o which is carried only on the X chromosome. Because the cat must have 2 (XX) genes to carry the Oo homozygous combination needed to make calico, the cat can only be a female because XY is male. In rare cases, there have been males with the XXY chromosome mutation, resulting in a calico or tort male.

The dominant white spotting gene works the same in cats and rabbits, giving the "calico" color (broken tort or tri-colored akd broken harlequin).

The calico and tortcats do bear a striking resemblence to harlequin rabbits. The genes have a similar effect on the coats, but the harlequin rabbit is produced by the "ej" gene in the E series and is not sex linked.

Pam

I have always wondered this, because in hamsters and other rodents the gene is sex linked.

Thanks for the info!

Back