Color question about charlies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimson

Reaction score
I have 2 babies in a french lop litter that are lightly marked. The mom is a frosted pearl ( but seems to be genetically broken) dad is broken blue tort. The babies have light color around the eyes, their ears are colored, and the have 2 dots of color on either side of their nose. The also have a thin stripe of color down their back. Is this more or less then 10% color?

Some judge opinion is that the stripe down their back is enough. As long as they have eyes, ears, and nose markings present also. (nose markings dont have to be full but they must have some color)

Not an ignorant question at all. I would have never known this if I hadn't talked to a few judges about it. When showing this rabbit the judges could not decide whether to call her a broken frosted pearl or a solid frosted pearl. She was registered as a broken frosted pearl, but a few judges she was shown under all agreed she was more of a solid frosted pearl. I had to have the color on the registration changed and show her in the solid classes. So for show purposes she is considered solid.
Now with that said when she is bred with a solid buck they will have some broken colored babies. So they say she is genetically broken. Basically she has lousy coloring.
She has been bred several times with broken bucks but has never had any charlies. This is the first time that the coloring on a baby has been questionably whether it is considered more or less then 10%.

[align=left]
14247_241459_030000001.jpg
14247_241459_050000003.jpg
14247_241459_040000002.jpg

Here are some pictures of the bunny

[/align]

I would say yes to the more than 10% however I would not show them but sell them as brood animals. In broken french lops the butterfly and saddle are the "preferred" markings. Wish you lived closer, If one was a buck I would love it for my breeding program.

I don't see any noticeable/obvious nose markings so I would assume that that is what would bump him out of being considered "broken", stripe on his back notwithstanding.

Thanks for the explanation of the broken thing. That's really interesting and never would have thought of that before. I would be really interested in seeing a picture of her.

Back