Color Genetics...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopntailrabbitry

Reaction score
I have a question...

Now pretty soon I am planning on breeding my doe Classy-I believe she is Black but she kinda has some brown tint to her. But I think she is just black anyways. Now I want to breed her to my buck Goliath who is a REW. Now is it possibly that she can get torts,possibly? Now also when Classy has the litter will the litter carry the REW gene?

Oh yeah if you want to see the pictures of Classy you may here is my site http://geocities.com/hopntailrabbitry click on Rabbits>Holland Lops

Thank You

All the kits in the litter will be REW carriers. This breedingshould also reveal Classy's true color (black or seal). If you get any blacks in the litter, then Classy is black, not seal.

You could get torts if both parents carry the tort "e" gene as well as the REW carrying "a" self.

Chestnutsmay be possiblebecause your REW has an agouti (fawn) parent. It's also possible that your REW carries the broken gene.

Pam

Oh really! That's awesome! Ok because I wasn't too sure if Classy is black or a seal, but I'm assuming that she is a black.

Yea however I know Goliath's dam is a fawn and Classy's dam is a broken orange which she gave me chestnut agouti. And now Goliath's dam she has a litter now and they are torts.

But that is good for me that they will be a REW carrier. :)

Will Classy get any REW's or no? Or it might be a chance though.

Thanks for telling me! :) I had a feeling that if I bred those two then the litter will carry the REW gene but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks again!

I don't know if Classy carries REW - if she does, you could get REW in the litter.

I looked again at your site - there's a good chance of torts because both Classy and the REW buck are out of non-extension colors (fawn & orange). If the REW buck carries agouti, you might also get frosties.

Pam

Oh really!...Frostys??? Oh jeez my mom loves that color. lol Ok I won't be telling my mom of what colors possibly to get. :) But torts do sound very good though. But with the REW in the litter even though I know they will probably carry the gene.

pamnock wrote:

Frosties are non-extension agoutis.

Ok, can you now explain that? lol I just think chestnut horses with the agouti gene... as extension is the gene that makes black vs red... and agouti makes black horses bays... lol

But I doknow what an agouti bunny (my Toast) and an agouti cat (tabby) is, too... but what does non-extension mean?

Edit to add: oh, I went to the site. Are frosties always that color? Is pearl and frosty the same thing or is that just one type (shade???) of frosty?

Jessi

Non-extension "e" reduces the extension of black onto the hair shaft over much of the body. This resultsthe "shaded" appearance of colors such as tort and sable point. In the case of agoutis, colors such as red, orange and frosty can be produced.

Pam

Ok....

As soon as when I sell the two of Charlotte's bunnies and sell the two of Ginger's bunnies. I will be breeding Classy and Goliath. Now I do know that Classy is a Black now. :)

Anyways,

I also have another planned breeding, Charlotte-broken orange with Goliath-REW. Now I have no idea what colors I will be getting. I love suprises when it comes to colors. :D

Back