Color critiques

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaPenguin

Reaction score
I don't have posed photos, so I don't have anything to show you form on my buns. I am just curious what others think of my buns colors.

My prize and joys, the Harlequin family.
Checkers, SR doe:
14315_200625_390000000.jpg

Gizmo, SR buck
14315_200625_410000001.jpg

Tiger Lily, JR doe
14315_200625_410000003.jpg

Other buns!
Sparkles, SR broken black Mini Rex mix doe
14315_150852_320000000.jpg

Skype, SR chinchilla Holland Lop doe
14315_200625_410000002.jpg

Skyler, JR broken black Mini Rex mix buck
14315_200625_420000004.jpg

Bugz, SR otter Mini Rex buck
14315_271700_350000004.jpg

I am more than willing to get more photos upon request!

I am a little bit confused as to what breed the first 3 are? If they are Mini Rex the fur is not right?
Their colour looks nice though but I am no Rex expert :)

No the first three are regular Harlequins. :) I was told the c hinchilla was a Holland Lop, but I'm not sure. I think she just has kind of short ears for her breed. :)

MelissaPenguin wrote:
No the first three are regular Harlequins. :) I was told the c hinchilla was a Holland Lop, but I'm not sure. I think she just has kind of short ears for her breed. :)
The Chinchilla looks more like a Mini Lop.

I don't remember what breeder I got her from. >.< I'll have to find them again and see. I had the option of getting her pedigree but didn't have the extra $20 or whatever at the time.

Her ears are not too short, actually average for her breed but her face is not as flat as some other. Also her body isn't very compact. She would make a good brood doe if bred to a smaller compact buck.

Also, the two broken black mini rex look like they don't have rex fur, am I right?

You're right. The two broken black mixes do not have the rex fur. But a kit from the same litter as the JR Broken Black has rex fur. I still have her too, but she's pure black so I didn't post photos. And she's going to her new home tomorrow. :)

As far as colors go, your harlies all have nice face markings, but their body markings are lacking definition.I think Tiger Lily is probably the best marked of them.

Sparkles looks like she has some interesting face markings. Hard to tell from the angle, though. Nice shiny black, though. Skyler has a few too many white hairs in his black patch for my liking, but he's a crossbred, so it really doesn't matter. I think both of them probably have too much black for the "standard" on brokens.

The chinchilla looks very nice...although the color on her sides seem a little tinted with brown. It might just be the picture, though. Or it could be a reflection of the straw (nice shiny coat...).

Otter looks like it might be fading a little (sun exposure?).

For the best critiques on color, especially chinchilla, you would want to take pictures of the undercolor (and hair shaft banding), too (blow into the fur while snapping a picture). A picture of the belly is also good.

hillrise wrote:
As far as colors go, your harlies all have nice face markings, but their body markings are lacking definition.I think Tiger Lily is probably the best marked of them.
The doe has a nice face marking, buck has a blaze which is a no no, and while the baby has some spots on the blue side of the face, I would say its so so. None really alternate the face with the ears, or the feet.

Like you stated the color is lacking. It is very dull and lacking clarity. The doe is very brindled, the buck is lacking the 50% in the markings department. The baby does have some defined banding. None of them appaear to have alternating feet. They do have good orange base..... the baby because I'm not sure if its black or blue.. if black the 'orange' is way diluted. if blue then fine.

Oh I didn't realize the broken black rexes were mixed. May I ask why you breed mix breeds? It doesn't really matter if they have good colour if they aren't purebred, at least it doesn't matter for show :) They are lovely bunnies and I am sure great pets.

GorbyJobRabbits - I'm honestly not sure how much they weigh, but they are quite a bit bigger than my Mini Rex.

hillrise - I agree that Tiger Lily is the best marked of my Harlis. Of the two parents, I like Checkers better. I think Gizmo is too diluted for my liking. Skype (my chinchilla) is a little tinted brown from the sun, my hutches are outside. Same with my Mini Rex. I will get a photo of Sparkles face and photos of Skypes undercoat/belly.

mistyjr - I've been talking with the breeder I got her from, and she's not posed right (light on her front feet). But she also said it's typical of does to be fussy with posing.

GorbyJobRabbits - I know they aren't perfectly marked, but honestly I think I like these markings better than the standard banding (I know, my bad :?) but when I line breed, I will definitely be looking at colors when deciding what kits to keep for the next step.

Brittany85 - Sparkles was one of my first two, the other being her sister who I got rid of after two failed litters. I did it more for the experience of breeding buns, and they are good buns. :) Of course, not for showing, though.

Hmm...Skype doesn't have very well-defined rings (when you blow into her fur, it should be an obvious black over pearl/silver/white over slate-blue). The rings will be less defined when she's between coats, though, which is why chinchilla is such a hard color to work with. Also, her tummy looks too dark to me...I think it's supposed to be pearl/white, but I could be wrong (I have chin rex, and rex colors are a little different from lop colors).

Latest posts

Back