color, breed help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeScone wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:
WHAT?!?! I thought only mini-rex and Rex had rex coat!
Not sure about other breeds, but there are Velveteen Lops and Plush Lops and mini-Plush lops, all of which have rex fur.
Yeah, but they had to work hard to get that fur from what I know...... just seems odd.

Pam said: Any breed of rabbit can be bred to have a rex coat."

Yes, you have to work at it, but the rex fur can be introduced to any breed. Back in the 1930's and 40's, there were Flemish Rex. They were developed to provide very large rex furred pelts for coats/collars/etc.. The variation has died out since then.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
pamnock wrote:
luvthempigs wrote:
Interesting, I never thought of him being a rex. Is it just the texture of the coat that makes a rex? Are the curly whiskers a trait of a rex?

Any breed of rabbit can be bred to have a rex coat. The Rex breed is a medium commercial breed and the "mini" rex is a compact version.

Pam
WHAT?!?! I thought only mini-rex and Rex had rex coat!
They are the only ARBA recognized breeds that do.

BlueGiants wrote:
Pam said: Any breed of rabbit can be bred to have a rex coat."

Yes, you have to work at it, but the rex fur can be introduced to any breed. Back in the 1930's and 40's, there were Flemish Rex. They were developed to provide very large rex furred pelts for coats/collars/etc.. The variation has died out since then.
That's really interesting! I had no clue that there were others...... but I guess I was thinking that you wouldn't likely get a random mixed breed with rex fur would you?

Latest posts

Back