Color blindness or just seriously bad eyesight? How do I know?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philososaurus

Reaction score
Are all rabbits color blind? Is mine? I was told she ISN'T an albino, but she's all white with red eyes. I think I don't know exactly what MAKES a rabbit albino...

I think this because she can only seem to find the blueberry if it's in my hand or in her food dish. Even if it's right in front of her, she can't find it on the blue carpet. Could she have really bad eyesight in general? She has been known to run into things, especially as she's making her nightly "laps."

She'll be running in "laps" around my room... under the chair! through the end table! up on the bed! down the bed! off the bed! around the room! under the chair! go go go!... and occasionally she'll just run into my face. Luckily it's adorable because it's like getting hit in the face with a bunch of cotton candy, but I can't help but wonder if it hurts her...

The other night she seemed to hit a table leg (which is tiny and really flimsy, but still) and it stopped her from running around anymore. Do you think I have a problem here? Is it something I should just bring up to the vet next time I'm there?

A white rabbit with red eyes is albino, but commonly referred to as REW.

All rabbits have a blind spot directly in front of their face. So holding a treat in front of them will not help them see it.

It does sound like she might have some vision issues. You can try putting a new object in the room and see how she reacts. Moving the food bowl can also give you a clue. Most rabbits will go to investigate a new object or at least react to it in some way. They will also see that the food dish is in a different spot and eat from it. If she doesn't notice a new object or can't find the food bowl, then she probably does have some blindness. A vet check can confirm this.

I actually JUST got a new food bowl! She was able to find it, though I didn't see her initial search for it.

It could be a night thing, but I thought that would be when their vision was best! In reflection, that does seem to be when all of her "hittin' stuff" problems are.

Good to know she is actually an albino =)

I really appreciate the lengthy response and all the ideas.

I actually JUST got a new food bowl! She was able to find it, though I didn't see her initial search for it.

It could be a night thing, but I thought that would be when their vision was best! In reflection, that does seem to be when all of her "hittin' stuff" problems are.

Good to know she is actually an albino =)

I really appreciate the lengthy response and all the ideas.

philososaurus wrote:
Are all rabbits color blind?
Rabbits aren't completely color blind - that is, they don't see in black and white - but they don't see the full color spectrum, either. Rabbits' eyes are sensitive to blue and green, but not to the longer-wavelength colors like red, orange and yellow. I don't think albinism has anything to do with that.

Here's a web page dealing with the subject: What Do Rabbits See?

Latest posts

Back