Color advice needed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well a gold tipped steel with banding is a completely wrong color but she won a leg anyway... It happens a lot. Judges tend to judge on what they like not necessarily what the standard calls for. I've also noticed judges just disregarding color on breeds that don't call for many points for color. That and I've even had judges that didn't know the point break downs for the breed they were judging

Toastasaraus wrote:
well a gold tipped steel with banding is a completely wrong color but she won a leg anyway... It happens a lot. Judges tend to judge on what they like not necessarily what the standard calls for. I've also noticed judges just disregarding color on breeds that don't call for many points for color. That and I've even had judges that didn't know the point break downs for the breed they were judging

It would be the judge's call if they would consider the banding over the back "obvious" as to whether or not they'd DQ. Slight banding over the sides is permissable, so it can be a little bit of a gray area as to where the judge will draw the line.

Also, ARBA rules clearly state that the judge is "to give each rabbit or cavy the benefit of the doubt". So unless the DQ is clearly obvious, the judge should give the benefit of the doubt to the animal-faultingrather than DQing (according to ARBA rules).

Lol well she has a DEFINITE triangle and banding going on. There is also a lot of trouble with Steels in flemish, because they will also have a triangle over their shoulders and banding that I can see when the judge blows into their coat (some nice "tweeners" in this area). The thing is they both have so little points for color the judges tend to look over it. That's why it was pointed out earlier that judges don't really look at color in the Angoras.

A triangle at the nape of the neck isn't an issue. It's not evenmentioned in some breed standards. In the Netherland steel, the nape can be black "or" match the ticking color (light brown). The judge would be incorrect in DQing or even faulting for a distinct triangle at the nape of the neck.

Wow, this is a lot of great info! I need to get another pic of him, his wool has changed a lot. So, I can show him if I get him used to being handled well? That's good to know!

9 almost 10 months old. I tried to weigh him but I only have a smaller scale that does up to 11 lbs, I could not see the weight lol. He covered it up. I will try to get a peoples scale to weight him with, I need one anyway.

He needs to weigh 7 1/2 - 10 1/2 lbs. to be shown. His coat appears to be rather soft in the photo, but he still may have a softer junior coat.

Yeah, its getting denser and not so soft now. He is still molting out the soft lighter colored wool. As the darker stuff comes in I am seeing more guard hairs, before I saw none. He's a slow molter though so I do not know if he will be ready to show in April, if not I will look for another show to take him to :)

Latest posts

Back